Sunday, July 19, 2015

Die To Sin....Rise To new Life In Christ


Romans 6:9-11 - Christ rose from the dead and will never die again. Death no longer has any power over him.  He died once for all to end sin’s power, but now he lives forever in unbroken fellowship with God.  So look upon your old sin nature as dead and unresponsive to sin, and instead be alive to God, alert to him, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

 

Paul begins to explain the power we have as Christians to resist the natural tendency of our flesh to sin. When we accept Christ into our heart…His power to control sin is placed there.  It should replace the old sin nature…letting it die…just as Christ died on the cross. And we don’t even have to wait 3 days to rise again to new life in God….we can live in Christ’s power immediately after believing in Him.

 

It’s one of the hardest concepts of Christianity to grasp.  How can we be as powerful as Christ….warding off satan with memorized scripture….always choosing God’s will over our own. Paul gives us just a bit more details later in Galatians 2:20…. “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

 

Perhaps the problem is that we never truly die completely with Christ…we take our sins to the cross….but we don’t leave them there completely. We carry a portion of our sins to the cross…but some of it never gets nailed to the cross with us when we die to our sins.  Or perhaps death …even if it is our sins….is too scary a concept…so we go to the cross and never really let God have complete control.  I admit that I am a combination of these scenarios. I resemble the words that Paul uses in the next chapter … Romans 7:15 says…. “ I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate.” 

 

What Paul is telling us here is that we need to sanctify our new life in Christ.  It is the growth in Him that helps give us the power we need over sin in our life. God sets us apart to be His…holy…complete…. strong… alive and passionate about the purpose God has for our life. I admit once again that it isn’t always easy to identify that purpose…sometimes we have to wait on His timing to see it. That’s where faith comes in…and pure obedience helps to fill the time gap while we wait on Him to reveal what He sent us here to do for Him.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you want all of me to die to sin…so you can fill me up completely with your purpose and plan for my life.  Forgive me for the times that I have held back…even subconsciously… and not allowed you to control everything in my life. Help me take all my sins to the cross this morning…and leave them there for you to deal with. And while I am at your feet….allow me to soak in so much of your presence that life doesn’t keep me from seeing the purpose you have for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment