Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Love Others More Than Yourself


Romans 15:1-3 -  We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.”

 

Paul spends a great deal of his letter to remind us how important it is to understand the power God can give us to love others more than we love ourselves. As we grow in faith with God we become strong enough to let go of the need to always have our own way. Right and wrong are not a part of the picture anymore….building others up becomes our priority.

 

Paul wanted us to see that being in control was not the objective of love…letting go and loving others was more important. …even if it meant we gave up things we love.  The mature Christian has spent enough time with God that 1 Corinthians 13 doesn’t need to be read anymore…it becomes the way our heart wants to live…because our hearts have been transformed by the love Christ has shown us. It says in verses 4-7… “ Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

 

I admit that I still need to read it often…to remind myself that the world was not created for me…but to please God.  I still have to work every day to rid my heart of selfish thoughts…God clearly still teaching me how to put others before myself. I am still learning patience….kindness….humility …. peace… trust… hope….perseverance and sacrificial love. I know that God will never give up on me…and make a way for me to get back on track when I stray too far from His plan.  He will help me to someday grow so much in His love that I will be as strong as Paul….humility ruling my heart…God always in first place.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to be more about helping others than I am about loving myself.  Forgive me for he times that I have let selfishness and hypocrisy rule my actions.  Help me to internalize enough of your love to let it take over my whole being…so loving others first will be a priority…just like Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment