Tuesday, July 7, 2015

See The Positive


Acts 22:1-3 - “Brothers and fathers, listen to me as I offer my defense.”  (When they heard him speaking in Hebrew, the silence was even greater.)  “I am a Jew,” he said, “born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, but educated here in Jerusalem under Gamaliel, at whose feet I learned to follow our Jewish laws and customs very carefully. I became very anxious to honor God in everything I did, just as you have tried to do today.

 

Paul had been arrested ….his preaching had caused a great stir with the Jews once again…and the scene that resulted caused even the Roman soldiers to be concerned. He pleaded with the soldiers in Greek for one more chance to give a defense…then spoke to the Jews who had mobbed him in Hebrew.  He summarized his education….spoke of his own sins from the past…gave a statement of loyalty to God… then detailed his conversion experience in Damascus. He made sure to emphasize just how much God had changed his life.

 

Paul tried to find the only common ground he knew they shared in order for his words to be more effective. He gave credibility to his reason for speaking…in hopes that mere respect would open their hearts a bit wider to hear the truth of God.  He used the fact that they shared the misunderstanding of  the faith of a new believer…and tried to persecute and even kill Christians.

 

Paul’s speech was not received well...but that does not mean that God did not use it to glorify himself and witness to all that heard it. Paul planted seeds that day in three groups of people because of what happened.  The angry mob heard the truth…whether they believed it or not… the soldiers stopped to listen because he spoke in Greek…and the leaders and Chief Priest heard one more time that the Messiah had indeed come…and had died for all people…not just the Jews.

 

What a great reminder that God uses us even when we feel we are not. What we think of as a mistake…is really God welding his plan to be something greater than we could ever imagine.  It’s my baby boys birthday today.  He still teases me that I called his appearance 23 years ago an accident.  But as I have grown older…and seen the blessing he has been to my life…I sure don’t see him as an accident anymore. God knew that I needed one more child…headstrong but loving…bold and not afraid to take risks. He has become a blessing…not an accident for sure.

 

Father...thank you for the reminder that you do not make accidents….and even when we make bad choices you can use them for good.  Forgive me for the times that I have seen the glass half empty instead of the glass half full.  Plant in my heart a passion to be positive in all my thinking…and see and embrace the possibilities instead of stir up fear from the negatives involved. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment