Thursday, July 30, 2015

What The World Considers Foolish...God Considers Wealth.


! Corinthians 1:26-29  -  Notice among yourselves, dear brothers, that few of you who follow Christ have big names or power or wealth.  Instead, God has deliberately chosen to use ideas the world considers foolish and of little worth in order to shame those people considered by the world as wise and great.  He has chosen a plan despised by the world, counted as nothing at all, and used it to bring down to nothing those the world considers great,  so that no one anywhere can ever brag in the presence of God.

 

Paul was writing to the Christians at Corinth…but he clearly states that the words God has given him to share with them are for all Christians. He tucks this truth of God’s power into a letter calling for unity …for many of the Christians there were beginning to divide themselves according to the most popular preachers. Paul was worried that the gospel would get diluted and people would attach themselves to man instead of the God that sacrificed His life for them.

 

It’s one of the hardest things for man in general to understand about Christianity….because becoming a follower of God does not guarantee us a rich life…as the world defines it.  Some of the strongest Christians I know live below the US’s standard poverty line. They don’t define their life by money…fame…or even what house they live in.   They little they have is considered great wealth to them…and they never question why God asked them to live that way.

 

True power…contentment in who God made us…and where God asked us to serve him is based on the amount of faith we have in God. It has nothing to do with how many shoes are in our closet…what outfit we buy for Easter Sunday…whether we have friends in high places…or how much we have in our bank account at any given time. It is solely dependent on how strong our relationship is with God…and our obedience to what He asks us to do.

 

God chooses to bless some with power and fame….and money.  Some of those use it to His glory…and some waste it in selfish journeys to become even greater.  Some use the power of God to stay humble like Paul…and some let pride take over and puff them up into people that usually fall apart after a time.  Makes me glad to be somewhere in the middle on the world’s scale of wealth.  I sure don’t stand a chance of becoming a millionaire….and I am far from famous. God gives me everything I need…plus just a tad over.  I needed the reminder to use that extra to help him more so I don’t get tempted to reward myself for things that might build too much pride in my heart.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that to be truly great in Your eyes I must be last. Forgive me for the times that I let the world tempt me to use its scale of greatness to measure myself. Help me to always measure myself by Your standards…always considering myself less than those around me. Thank you for the way you care for me …allowing me to live with all that I need and more. Help me to be more loving to those that have so much less than I ...but yet love you so much more than I have learned to love.  Bless them today with just a little more than they are used too…so they can feel your great power work miracles in their lives.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment