Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Not Always As It Seems...


Acts 16: 9-13 -  And a vision appeared to Paul in the night;  There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.   And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.  Therefore loosing from Troas, we came with a straight course to Samothracia, and the next day to Neapolis;   And from thence to Philippi, which is the chief city of that part of Macedonia, and a colony:  and we were in that city abiding certain days.    And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made;  and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither

 

Paul and Silas had become a team of teachers ….ministers…..healers...traveling to exactly where the Holy Spirit told them to go.  The spirit gave them visions and directed their every move….telling them where to go and where not to go. God had sent them to a group of women who met near the river just out of town. Going did not always meet with success….rest and fun…this trip …the casting out of a demon from a young girl landed them a serious beating….and jail time in the deepest most secure part of the inner dungeon in double stocks.

 

Even though they were probably feeling their worst…frustrated and wondering why in the world God would send them somewhere they might be treated so badly…they sang hymns and prayed and praised God well into the night. God used their positive attitude in front of the other prisoners …and an earthquake so strong it broke all the prisoner’s chains off… opening every prison door to show his glory and power. The way Paul and Silas handled the scene…by not running… but taking the opportunity to witness and explain salvation to the jailor…changed the whole jailor’s families lives for the better.

 

I met with some opposition this week as I took the faith steps to move to TN.  The short version is that it was delayed from when promised….cost more than it was supposed to…and my cell phone died in the process leaving me stranded with no contacts. I had to buy a new phone on the way to TN…and you know that was even more money.  I was so frustrated every time they would tell me about another delay….or more money to pack something not mentioned by the first person that booked my job. It took all day to load the van…causing me to arrive at my mom and dad’s pretty close to midnight…and I am still waiting this morning for them to show up and deliver.  My situation pales in comparison with that of Paul and Silas….but it sure is a grand reminder that God has a purpose in every little thing that caused me frustration…money…and delay.

 

Some people would tell me that the problems were there because I wasn’t supposed to go….but I will argue that I am doing exactly what God has led me to do. He has a grand plan that will use every bit of pain and frustration to change lives…just like Paul and Silas did in that town. God does not promise that all our days will be easy and peaceful…but he does promise in Psalms 23 that He will walk with us though those times until we arrive in the green pastures meant to feed and develop our faith.  I was wide awake…probably from the cup of coffee some sweet friends brought by as I pulled out of the driveway.  My mom had waited up way past her bedtime…even had my bed turned down when I got there. I am sitting in the latest present from my Lord…my new house…electricity to charge the computer….a milk crate to type on…and a McDonald’s office nearby to go post later today. God is good…all the time…even when you’re going through tough times. Part of the secret to happiness is to focus on the positive.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you have a plan in all things. Forgive me for the times that I concentrate so much on the negative that I am blinded to the blessing that you are working because of my frustrations. Help me to be more like Paul and Silas…sing and concentrate on the glory of your presence…so I can lose my struggles at your glorious feet…and see the good in what is happening that I think is bad.   Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment