Sunday, July 12, 2015

Value Others More Important Than Yourself


Acts 27:23-25 -  “For last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me  and said, ‘Don’t be afraid, Paul—for you will surely stand trial before Caesar! What’s more, God has granted your request and will save the lives of all those sailing with you.’  So take courage! For I believe God! It will be just as he said!  But we will be shipwrecked on an island.”

 

Paul was finally loaded on a boat to Rome...but there was trouble after trouble on the way. They made it as far as Fair Haven with decent traveling weather….Paul not feeling very positive about moving on….but the decision to go was made anyway by the ship’s crew. In the end…it proved to be disastrous….but because of Paul’s prayers…no one died. Even though the ship was grounded and pulled apart…they all made it to a nearby Island… by swimming or floating ashore on the debris of the ship.

 

What impresses me the most about this story is that Paul did not just pray for his own safety…he prayed for all the people on that boat.  God even gave the head guard Julius….a kind heart toward Paul…so that the other officers traveling with Paul and the other prisoners would not be killed to prevent them running away.

 

God ultimately wanted Paul to minister in Rome…but Paul was not the only life he protected on that ship.  God had a purpose in every moment of trouble that the whole crew suffered through.  God saved them all for a reason. He even sent an angel to Paul in the night to comfort him and encourage him not to be afraid. How cool ….how overcome with joy for a positive answer to his prayers…how awestruck Paul must have been to speak with the angel that night.

 

I admit that my prayers concentrate mostly on my own needs.  I have a few lists of other needs that I lift up in prayer….but I sure don’t have Paul’s resolve to put everyone’s else’s needs even with my own. I needed the reminder that my prayers should count all the ones I pray for just as important as myself. I needed the reminder that I may not have grown out of my selfish nature as much as I thought.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you love all people and my prayers should reflect the needs of all those around me. Forgive me for the times that I have prayed selfish prayers just for my own needs…and left to chance the needs of others. Help me to be more like Paul….counting all that are around me as important to God….and proving it by lifting them up in prayer more fervently and passionately.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment