Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Holy Spirit Is Our Personal Prayer Warrior


Romans 8:26-28 - In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.  And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[i] have been called according to his purpose.

 

Paul takes a lot of time in Romans to help explain the nature of sin and the power it could have if we let it have control of our lives. Then he takes a few moments to remind us that once we accept Jesus as our savior…..once we trust in his promises….he sends to us the Holy Spirit as a comforter…a guide…a prayer warrior.

 

It is one of my favorite promises of God.  God knew that there would be times when our physical bodies would be so over whelmed that He let one of the job descriptions of the Holy Spirit be interceder. Even when we have no clue what to do or how to pray for help…the Holy Spirit is lifting up exactly what we need to God….taking up where our weaknesses begin to cut us off from God’s help.

 

I am reminded that we have to remember that the Holy Spirit already knows God’s perfect will for our lives. His prayers on our behalf are always in accordance with that perfect will. They are to bring about God’s purpose here on earth...not always to bring us immediate happiness. They are for the good of all that Love God…not just the good of my individual relationship with Him.

 

I admit that I wish I could hear those prayers out loud….instead of the wordless groans Paul describes here. Perhaps if I could hear the prayers the Holy Spirit lifts on my behalf…I might understand God’s will for me…I might understand more easily how my life and task for God fits into the big picture that involves all Christians. It seems the older I get…the more I learn about my God…the more of a Thomas I become. I think I need way more tangible evidence than God sometimes gives me.

 

I needed the reminder that God gave me the Holy Spirit to help me through the hard times when we can’t see what’s coming around the corner.  I have an unseen helper that takes over for me when I think I am too weak to continue. I have a surrogate…that does for me what I can’t sometimes do for myself.  Perhaps that is why God doesn’t give up on us…but chases after us when we get off track.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you gave me the Holy Spirit when I put my life in your hands. Forgive me for the times that I forget that the Holy Spirit is building me up through constant intercession with you…and even though I am not allowed to hear the words He lifts on my behalf… I can always be encouraged that they are for the good of all Christians…and fully within your will.  Help me to call on this powerful prayer warrior more often…so I can feel His power wash over me in the times that I feel lost or clueless about what you would have me to do.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment