Friday, July 24, 2015

God Is Good...God Is Severe


Romans 11:22 - Notice how God is both kind and severe. He is very hard on those who disobey, but very good to you if you continue to love and trust him. But if you don’t, you too will be cut off.

 

It is a short passage…..and Paul gives it with no explanation.  God holds the power to be kind as well as the power to be severe. Paul’s only commentary on this fact is that God blesses us when we obey and walk in His will….God punishes us when we step outside His will and begin to let our flesh call the shots.

 

Paul was trying to explain to the Gentiles why God had allowed them to be part of His great chosen family…as well as explain to the Jews that they could change their mind about Jesus.  But this passage holds a great truth that many struggle with…God is generous and unyielding. He will do what it takes to save the ones He knows will turn to Him.  God has the ability to see ahead of the pain He allows...to see if it will break us…or make us stronger.

 

I admit that I wish Paul had explained this truth of God a little more…for I am sure that I am not the only one who struggles with the decisions God makes that bring calamity on the human race. There was Jonah…who found himself inside the belly of a great fish when he tried to disobey God. There was Lots wife…who turned into a pillar of salt when she disobeyed. Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed completely for their sin…but Lot and a few of His family were saved.

 

Perhaps Lot was holding His wife’s hand when she turned to salt…and it burned a constant reminder in his heart to love God more than anything else. Perhaps the death of David’s first child with Bathsheba….served as a constant reminder that as great as God had made him…he could still fall to sin. Perhaps 911 was a wakeup call to America…as great as God has blessed us…he can take it all away in a moment.

 

I am comforted with the knowledge that anyone caught up in the severe decisions of God are also caught up in His arms when death results. They are like that thief on the cross…who are with Jesus in paradise as soon as breath leaves their body.  I am also comforted knowing that those who remain behind to live with the pain have one more chance to believe. God can use their stories of strength and courage to go on to help others come to know him.  I don’t have to understand why…even though my heart still wants to ask that question…  just accept that God is in control and has a master plan to use it to further His kingdom.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you are both kind and severe. Forgive me for the times that I have disobeyed and given you an opportunity to punish me with your severity. Forgive me for the times that I fail to see your hand in the things that happen around me and trust that they are to bring about good and not cause harm without reason. Help me to stand courageous and strong…so I may remain faithful through any storm that you allow as a punishment or discipline to myself or others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment