Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Do Others See Jesus In You?


Acts 23:2-5 - 2Instantly Ananias the High Priest commanded those close to Paul to slap him on the mouth.  Paul said to him, “God shall slap you, you whitewashed pigpen.  What kind of judge are you to break the law yourself by ordering me struck like that?”  Those standing near Paul said to him, “Is that the way to talk to God’s High Priest?”   “I didn’t realize he was the High Priest, brothers,” Paul replied, “for the Scriptures say, ‘Never speak evil of any of your rulers.’”

 

Paul had been brought before the Jewish council and given chance to defend himself.  His first few words brought commands to slap him right on the mouth from the High Priest.  Since Paul did not recognize who he was… he rebuked him with some strong words of his own…then quoted scripture for why he wouldn’t have done that if he had known.

 

It reminded me quickly how important it is to let my talk match my walk….so that no one ever mistakes me for a non-believer. Paul wrote in Philippians 1:27… “ Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel.”  And is James 2:26 sums up this great chapter on the need to fuel our faith with actions…. “ As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

 

One other thought…today’s definition of Christian is more than a bit twisted by those who choose not to believe. They have put us all in judgmental boxes…telling us that if we stand up for what the Bible says we are judging others. Many Christians choose to be politically correct…and let the world dictate more of what they believe than the Bible. Paul certainly was not one of these fence riding Christians…he said what he believed then acted on it…letting everyone around him know that his orders came from God…even if it meant jail or death.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to be so loving…so kind…so giving…and yet so strict to follow just your word.  Forgive me for the times that I have let the world water my faith down…and others have not seen you mirrored in what I do and say. Help me to be strong like Paul….and always use your Bible as my guide for what is best in all situations.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment