Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Are You Hiding In Your Baggage?


1 Samuel 10:1;9 and 21-22 -  Then Samuel took a flask of oil and poured it on Saul's head and kissed him, saying, "Has not the LORD anointed you leader over his inheritance?
As Saul turned to leave Samuel, God changed Saul's heart, and all these signs were fulfilled that day
 Then he brought forward the tribe of Benjamin, clan by clan, and Matri's clan was chosen. Finally Saul son of Kish was chosen. But when they looked for him, he was not to be found.  So they inquired further of the LORD, "Has the man come here yet?" And the LORD said, "Yes, he has hidden himself among the baggage."
 
Samuel led Saul out of the city…and bid his servant to go on ahead…then Samuel anointed Saul with oil and kissed him …privately…in a field.  Samuel followed his kiss of respect and allegiance by pouring God’s words of leadership into Saul’s soul. He told him, that God had made him ‘captain’ of his people here on Earth….along with several other prophecies God had told him would happen in the next few days.
 
God changed Saul’s heart as he turned to leave that morning. And later God’s spirit did come upon him…as all of Samuel’s prophecies came true….as Saul joined a band of prophets for a short time that day. They sang and prophesied together for most of the day. It must have been a pure spiritual experience...maybe meant to build Saul up in confidence for his new job…maybe just to let him feel the power that he could have as God’s anointed leader.
 
But later….we find that Saul was hiding in the baggage…while his name was being drawn to be king. As lots were cast before the tribes…God’s unpredictable control… allowed the least of all tribes to be brought forward for his leader to be chosen from….and Saul’s name is clearly drawn before the leaders of all 12 tribes. At first I was inclined to believe that Saul hid out of fear and insecurity…but then I remembered that God had changed Saul’s heart. Maybe this hiding wasn’t so much out of fear…as respect for God’s holiness. Maybe I am stretching it here…but I want to believe that in these early moments of his anointing…that the spirit was still strong with him...and he understood the greatness of the God who had chosen him.
 
Whether you cling to a belief that Saul was insecure…cause if you peek ahead…Saul really has problems with self-esteem later in his reign….or chose to believe the principle that Saul ….at least for one moment in his ‘changed’ heart….understood the power God was giving him as king….there is a lesson there for all of us who believe.  God was clearly in control here….and in that moment…was telling his people...that he would use Saul….a common man…tall and good looking…from the least of all tribes….to become the leader that Israel cried out for.
 
It reminds me to never let satan trick me into believing that I cannot accomplish the things I feel in my spirit God has called me to do. He can empower me even if I am hiding from him in the baggage of all my sins. He can use me if I am broken on my knees… in respect and awe of his holiness. He will find me…and present to me his powerful spirit…to empower me to do what he has called me to do.
 
Father…I thank you for your great servant Samuel….and his obedience to your directives in his life.  Thank you for this reminder that you can use me no matter who I am or where I come from. Thank you for always finding me in my hiding places…and bringing me out to do the work you have placed me here to do.  Help me to always remember who you are…and the act of great love that even allows me life each day. Help me to accept your power and anointing…to allow your spirit to transform my heart…to hear you voice clearly…and know exactly what you have called me to do for you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment