Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I ain't Gonna Study War No More


2 Samuel 8:11-15-  King David dedicated all these gifts to the LORD, along with the silver and gold he had set apart from the other nations he had subdued --  Edom, Moab, Ammon, Philistia, and Amalek -- and from Hadadezer son of Rehob, king of Zobah.  So David became very famous. After his return he destroyed eighteen thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt.  He placed army garrisons throughout Edom, and all the Edomites became David's subjects. This was another example of how the LORD made David victorious wherever he went.  David reigned over all Israel and was fair to everyone.

 

David was given victory in every battle that reclaimed the land of Canaan for Israel. Even the kings of neighboring lands were brought to submission…and paid taxes to David. He shed much blood in the process….but somehow managed to earn the reputation for being fair.  His name brought  both fear and respect throughout the land….as God looked after him and protected him as he had promised.

 

I will admit that I have a hard time accepting these war stories…this killing of thousands of lives…as a good thing…as just and fair. It is just so hard for me to accept this as necessary. My brain kept trying to total the number of lives that God allowed to die to set up David’s kingdom…but I stopped after verse 6…with the number 43,000 in the margin….the number already too big for my heart to deal with.  I can’t stand to watch a baby bird die… or know I hit a rabbit driving home….let alone deal with the knowledge that more than 43,000 people lost their lives during this part of David’s  reign.

 

Then I remembered the promise of God…to give the land of Canaan to his people…and drive out the pagans that worshiped other gods. Joshua started the process…now David was given the skills and temperament to finish the job. David was given the personality and heart to do the job God gave him to do.  The wars of David’s reign had a unique purpose…just for that time….carried out by exactly the person God had trained to do the job.

 

I am so very thankful that God allowed me to live in a time where wars are few.  Even reading the passages here in the Old testament…I see no purpose for the wars we as Americans are engaged in…for we are not claiming land for Christ.  Christ came and gave his life for us on that cross…and he does not need us to kill to show his power anymore.  Jesus came as a humble servant of peace…and is returning someday to fulfill the new promise I look forward to….given to us in Isaiah 2:4… “He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.”

 

Father…Help me understand the need for war in my lifetime.  I need your wisdom and love to help me accept the senseless killings that send our American soldiers home in boxes ready to be buried. I need your love and compassion to help me forgive those that have taken these lives.  Thank you for this story that reminds me not to dwell on the loss of life…but instead claim your promise that peace will someday rule our world again. Amen.

 

PS… I couldn’t help but think of the old song ….Down By The River Side….written and sung by a people that longed to see the world at peace…..even though their lives were characterized by hate and injustice.  They must have known about the promise of God too!  Here’s a link to a Pete Seeger version on youtube….    http://youtu.be/LgOXqNq7fqc  

No comments:

Post a Comment