Monday, April 29, 2013

Thank You Lord...For Blessings I Don't Deserve


2 Samuel 7:18-20 -  Then King David went in and sat before the LORD and prayed, "Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?  And now, Sovereign LORD, in addition to everything else, you speak of giving me a lasting dynasty! Do you deal with everyone this way, O Sovereign LORD?  What more can I say? You know what I am really like, Sovereign LORD.

 

God had granted David a time of peace…a season of rest from all the war and fighting.  He was just walking around one day…reflecting on how much God had blessed him...when his eyes beheld the simple tent he had placed the Ark. In that moment …it felt wrong to David to live in such a grand cedar palace…when the Lord resided in a tent. He spoke with the prophet God had placed near him for counsel….about his idea to build God a proper house.  But God spoke to Nathan the prophet too…and told him to deliver a message back to David…that one of his sons would build his temple….and that David had shed too much blood for the task.

 

God’s message also contained the great promise to build a lasting dynasty from David’s sons.  I am pretty sure David did not understand the deeper meaning…that through his family the Messiah would finally come to minister to our needs on a different level.  The promise God gave him that day was simply to build his family into a dynasty of kings….that God would build him a house of descendants so strong that Israel would never be without leadership again.

 

David’s prayer of acceptance is such a humble configuration of words. He speaks form his heart the truth of his sinful life so far….and offers his gratefulness that God could bless him so much in spite of the state of his heart. As he sat before the Lord… he humbly thanked God for the wonderful blessings he had already received in his life…and embraced the promise of his future.

 

I share David’s awe at the wonderful things God has blessed me with in my lifetime…despite the many times I have failed him.  That is our God though….always chasing after us…willing to wash us clean with his precious blood once again…and show us the direction he planned for us to go all along.  It reminds me that I need to make time to let him know how very much I appreciate all that he has blessed me with…the beautiful rock house rental I live in…my friends…my church….my children…my job…okay I’ll stop or we will be here all day…for I could never list the many blessings in one sitting.  God is building in me a new dynasty…of faith and hope and trust…to walk with him on a day to day basis…and know in my heart that he has plans to prosper me too.

 

Father….I thank you for your mercy and grace that does not punish me continually for my many sins…but raises me up to walk with you in a new life….full of hope for my future…because I ask you to live in my heart when I was just 14.  I will never deserve or be able to repay you for what you have done for me.  All I can do is cry out a great THANK YOU…for being my God…and rest in the promise you have given me from Jeremiah 29:11…that you know the plans you have for me…plans for good….and you will prosper me…simply because you love me.  It is amazing my father…to even begin to comprehend the great vastness of your love…and know that even as you would do this for me…you do it for all that come to know you and ask you to be their Lord. I praise you with my humble words….and simply say how honored I am that you would choose a sinner like me to love…but I am so glad you did.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment