Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Forgiveness Brings Respect And Love


2 Samuel 1:  "From the blood of the slain, from the fat of the mighty, the bow of Jonathan turned not back, and the sword of Saul returned not empty.  "Saul and Jonathan, beloved and lovely! In life and in death they were not divided; they were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.  "Ye daughters of Israel, weep over Saul, who clothed you daintily in scarlet, who put ornaments of gold upon your apparel.  "How are the mighty fallen in the midst of the battle! "Jonathan lies slain upon thy high places

 

The word of Saul’s death reached David’s ears by way of a greedy liar…an Amalekite who somehow gained possession of Saul’s crown.  He figured to gain some sympathy from David…who had run from Saul for so long…but he figured wrong.  For as soon as David had fasted and mourned for Saul and his best friend Jonathan...he killed the man who claimed he had been insolent enough to kill the Lord’s anointed king.

 

Then David honored his friend and the king that had served as king by writing a song …a song that spoke of the great things they had done. ….a song that memorialized the positive things that Saul had done….a song that spoke of his deep love for his friend.  The song he wrote contained no mention of the sorrow and pain David had been forced to live with as he ran….David put aside any feelings of hurt and bitterness…and showed the ultimate respect for his fallen friend and his father.

 

The heart of David knew that God’s love sometimes calls us to lay our own feelings aside… wrap ourselves in his merciful love for all people… and let God’s heart take control over the bitterness and pain that lives there.  David was modeling for us what the apostle John meant when he wrote 1 John 4:20…. “Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.”  What courage and deep reverence for God must David had to be so mature in his love for others…  David understood how powerful on-going forgiveness is to a battered and broken heart.

 

Jesus used this very point to finish one of his great sermons from the mountains where he shared his heart with the crowds that followed him.  In Matthew  5:43-47 it says… "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'  But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.  For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?  And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?”  Jesus was calling them to be different…to take the love he was going to give them when he sacrificed his life on that cross…and use it to love unconditionally… to love not just the lovable…but love the unlovable as well.

 

I have to admit that I struggle with this one.  It is so very hard for my human heart to completely shake off the bitterness and hate that satan planted in my heart…and truly forgive the ones who have hurt me.  It is easier to whine and cry and have pity parties…but that only embeds the pain deeper in your heart.  I guess I need more moments kneeling at the altar at church….like the one night I cried out to God to help me let go…and forgive. It wasn’t as hard as satan tricked me into thinking it would be…. and I will never forget the awesome wash of peace that came over my mind…as I knew in that moment that God had somehow melted my heart a bit…so I could tolerate the pain a bit better. 

Father…thank you for this reminder that I do not have to live with the pain and bitter feelings of the past.  Thank you for the moments where you get through to this stubborn hard head of mine… and help me to tell satan to go way…and stop lying to me….so you can help me to use your love to release the hurts you have allowed in my life. Help me to take the small victories you have given me…and multiply them.  Help me to use the memories of how you helped me that wonderful night…to repeat the process with any more hurt I might have hidden deep inside my heart. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment