Friday, April 26, 2013

Take Courage In The Lord


2 Samuel 4:1-3 - When Ishbosheth heard about Abner's death at Hebron, he lost all courage, and his people were paralyzed with fear.  Now there were two brothers, Baanah and Recab, who were captains of Ishbosheth's raiding parties. They were sons of Rimmon, a member of the tribe of Benjamin who lived in Beeroth. The town of Beeroth is now part of Benjamin's territory  because the original people of Beeroth fled to Gittaim, where they still live as foreigners.

 

Abner…Ishbosheth’s military leader had been brutally killed by Joab. He was left alone…with no leader…no counsel…no thoughts of what to do next.  Fear…so deep …gripped his soul so completely that he cowered in helplessness…and caused him to lay in his bed during in the late hours of the morning. It was easy for the two sons of Rimmon to sneak in to his bedroom one day and kill him.

 

Ishbosheth had placed all his eggs in the wrong basket.  He was depressed and scared and had no hope for his life in the next moment. He had placed his hope in an earthly man…forsaking the Lord who could have given him all the strength and answers he needed.  Ishbosheth took courage from Abner…so when Abner was gone… in essence…so was Ishbosheth’s hope.

 

It is no accident that David is the one writing great psalms like 31:24… “So be strong and take courage, all you who put your hope in the LORD!”  His strength and faith were becoming so mature because he knew in his heart that the Lord had anointed him king and he had a plan for when that would come to pass. His whole countenance modeled for others around him how placing your trust in God could provide you with an endless supply of strength and wisdom.

 

I have to admit that I have a lot of work to do in strengthening my faith…and using courage the way David did.  I still allow the pity party to win every once in a while…because I placed my trust in myself for so many years.  I am working daily to study God’s word…and break the many bad habits that might make me an easy target for satan…as he roams the earth…looking for someone to trick and lie to.

 

I want to grow up to be like David…and sweet Haggai…who is credited with writing a great book later in the Bible.  We find these words in Haggai 2:4… “But now take courage, Zerubbabel, says the LORD. Take courage, Jeshua son of Jehozadak, the high priest. Take courage, all you people still left in the land, says the LORD. Take courage and work, for I am with you, says the LORD Almighty.” Good words to place deep in our souls…to give us strength…and help us to never allow satan to grip us so completely with fear that we become hopeless …and give up on the promise of God to prosper our future.

 

Father….  Thank you for the promise that you have plans to give me a great and prosperous future.  Help me to place these wise words deep in my soul…and have them prepared for satan’s next attack on my confidence.  Give to me the strength you gave to David…and Moses…and Paul….that helped them thank you in site of the hardness of the world around them…that helped them know deep down in their soul that there was nothing to fear…for you are with us...through dark valleys….through evil moments…for you are with me.  Your rod and your staff are my comfort…as you prepare for me a feast of victory over my enemies.  I smile this morning from the thoughts of how wonderful it will be to eat with you in heaven….knowing that the blessings you have showered upon me my 54 years won’t compare to the feast I will see the day I join you there. Thank you God for pursuing me…and never giving up on me…and chasing after me …till I someday join you to live forever in the house of the Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment