Thursday, April 11, 2013

God's Peace Surpasses Our Ability To Understand


1 Samuel 20:41-42 - As soon as the boy had gone, David rose from beside the stone heap and prostrated himself with his face to the ground. He bowed three times, and they kissed each other, and wept with each other; David wept the more.  Then Jonathan said to David, "Go in peace, since both of us have sworn in the name of the Lord, saying, "The Lord shall be between me and you, and between my descendants and your descendants, forever.' " He got up and left; and Jonathan went into the city.

 

David had returned to see if king Saul was still trying to kill him.  He met secretly with his friend Jonathan…and told him his heart…that his father was probably hiding the truth from him…because of their friendship. So they worked out a plan…so that David could hide in safety...until Jonathan could talk face to face with his father…and hear the truth for himself.  Jonathan’s words were chosen carefully…to help him be fair to his father until he was sure.

 

It wasn’t a pretty scene for Jonathan…his father called him a fool…for protecting David….for loving him so much. Then his own father threw a spear at him. ..with the intent to kill him too. There had to have been tears in his eyes as he shot the three arrows to signal David  that he knew he truth. And his heart must have broken in the moment that he uttered the signal words that indicated David needed to run far away from this place where he was hated so much.

 

But the story says David’s tears were greater….for he knew in his heart that he might never see this friend who had been so dear to him again. Their goodbyes …so confusing to their hearts. Their tears of grief were not held back…they were exchanged freely….so each would know the love that existed between them. They even made provisions for their future children...just in case it was God’s plan that they never meet again.

 

My heart hung on the last words of Jonathan...who through his tears told David to ‘go in peace’…and carry the love of God with him.  Oh how his heart must have been ripped from it cage of muscle and bone as they hugged and cried with each other…. Jonathan holding with all his might to God...trusting even through his obvious grief…that somehow God would comfort them both and help them …despite the human pain they both felt in that moment.

 

It reminds me that I need to trust my God in everything that happens…no matter how sad or fearful it might make me in any given moment. My tears of grief...my cries of fear…my pangs of loneliness…my questions of confusion and doubt…may never be answered in my lifetime. But I have a God…who can place within my heart a peace that surpasses human understanding.  Jonathan’s wise heart had found that peace Paul told us about in Philippians 4:7 …. “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ.”  The peace did not stop the tears from flowing…it allowed the tears of these two friends to heal their pain and preserve their love through the horrible moment they were experiencing.

 

Father…I thank you for your peace….I thank you for tears that cleanse and heal and prove that our emotions are intact.  I thank you for the great writers of the Bible you chose…and gave these powerful words of love and healing too. Help me to accept your powerful peace…even when my heart is crying out questions of doubt.  Help me to accept your wonderful peace…when I am overwhelmed with moments of grief and sadness.   Help me to accept your perfect peace that surpasses my human capacity to understand…so I can experience your love and comfort through my pain and trials here on Earth….so I can allow my mind to think like your heart…and put the worries of the future in your hands.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment