Monday, April 15, 2013

The Authority Is Not Always Mine


1 Samuel 24:4-7 -  The men said, "This is the day the LORD spoke of when he said to you, 'I will give your enemy into your hands for you to deal with as you wish.' " Then David crept up unnoticed and cut off a corner of Saul's robe.  Afterward, David was conscience-stricken for having cut off a corner of his robe.  He said to his men, "The LORD forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the LORD's anointed, or lift my hand against him; for he is the anointed of the LORD."  With these words David rebuked his men and did not allow them to attack Saul. And Saul left the cave and went his way.

 

The chase continued…as Saul searched for David.  He was close this time…so close that as he went in a cave to relieve himself…he was close enough to David …for him to cut the hem off his garment.  David’s men wanted David to kill Saul…but the guilt David felt from just cutting his kings robe brought about a rebuke…and a speech that showed this men that he respected the title God had given Saul so many years before. David knew that God would let him know when it was time for him to be king.

 

The realization that he had done something very wrong…prompted him to leave the cave after Saul and shout to him. He called him king….and asked him why he would have spared his life just now if he wanted to kill him so badly.  He showed Saul the piece of material from his robe…and he vowed never to raise his hand against the Lord’s anointed king.

 

It must have been one of those epiphany moments for Saul…for the conversation brought tears...and a verbal admittance that David would be king one day.  It could even have been that Saul’s wisdom in that moment changed his heart that day…but David was not inclined to believe it…for they parted ways that day…Saul going home…and David returning to his men in their stronghold.

 

It shows me that I should pay more attention to my conscience.  God gave it to me…and has developed it with many years of love and lessons of his great mercy.  It tells me that should always respect the ones he places in authority over me…whether I agree with them or not. It shows me that I should trust God…and wait for him to move in situations that I feel betrayed or overcome with moments of harassment or overwork.  God knows I sure haven’t learned this lesson yet…even though he gave me another opportunity this last weekend.

 

Father…I pray this evening that you help me to be more loving and humble with others that you place in authority over me.  Give me the discernment of David…and teach me the secret of ‘perfect timing’ that David seemed to have learned from you.  Thank you for reminding me that I have much work to do in this arena. …and give me the strength to succeed with the next lesson you have planned for me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment