Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Speak The Truth In Love


1 Samuel 26:18-20 -  And he added, "Why is my lord pursuing his servant? What have I done, and what wrong am I guilty of ?  Now let my lord the king listen to his servant's words. If the LORD has incited you against me, then may he accept an offering. If, however, men have done it, may they be cursed before the LORD! They have now driven me from my share in the LORD's inheritance and have said, 'Go, serve other gods.'  Now do not let my blood fall to the ground far from the presence of the LORD. The king of Israel has come out to look for a flea--as one hunts a partridge in the mountains."

 

Saul was once again chasing David…but this time David knew he was coming…so he sent out spies to keep tabs on how close he got to his camp. One evening …the spies returned to reveal Saul’s position …so David enlisted a volunteer to go with him and check it out.  They found the king asleep…encircled by his men…also asleep.

 

David’s brave volunteer was ready to kill Saul….but David said no…and reminded him of Saul’s anointing….and the authority God had placed in his hands. But David did decide to take the king’s spear and water jug from him while he slept…and they both left for a hill just outside of camp…still within range for David to shout to the king and his men.

 

His speech revealed that he had had another chance to kill Saul…and that he had taken his water jug and spear as proof. He cried out to Saul…to name the wrong he had committed. David’s speech was a long…emotional vent of pain and frustration he had felt since he began running and hiding from the king.  It described how he felt cut off from his nation…and place of worship and ended with a spoken curse on Saul if this chase and pursuit were not God’s idea.

 

I can only imagine David’s cry on that hilltop…the pain and frustration all coming to an emotional head. He modeled for us all how a speech should be made to one we don’t agree with…factual…in love…with respect for all that might be hearing.  It was embedded with all that he had learned over the time he had been running from Saul…every uncomfortable night of restless sleep in a cave….every fear of what might happen if he had been caught…every prayer and song he had written to process the lesson God might be teaching him. Even disconnected from the people and tabernacle where he worshiped…David managed to cling to God for his strength and wisdom.

 

I know that I need to grow up and be more like David…for I am one that hasn’t mastered the art of waiting on God. I still flare up with righteous indignation way too much when I feel betrayed or wronged. I slump into that pity party too quickly. I want to shout out…but not in love and compassion. And I admit that I still enjoy… way too much the …the poetic justice that God allows me to witness sometimes. I need to allow God to speak to me in my times of frustration and pain…so he can use it to teach me mercy and compassion.

 

Father…I thank you for this story that reminds me to allow my pain and frustration to teach me more about your perfect love. Show me how to control my tongue…and wait for you to put together the perfect moment for me to speak your truth to others. Help me to cling to you in my moments of loneliness and pain…and allow it to draw me even closer to your sword pieced side.  Help me to reach out to your nail scarred hands …the next time I feel a pity party coming on….so you can guide me back to the warmth of your love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment