Wednesday, April 10, 2013

God Protects His Children


1 Samuel 19:1-2; 9-10; 12; and 20  Saul spoke with his son Jonathan and with all his servants about killing David. But Saul's son Jonathan took great delight in David.  Jonathan told David, "My father Saul is trying to kill you; therefore be on guard tomorrow morning; stay in a secret place and hide yourself.

Then an evil spirit from the Lord came upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his spear in his hand, while David was playing music.  Saul sought to pin David to the wall with the spear; but he eluded Saul, so that he struck the spear into the wall. David fled and escaped that night.

So Michal let David down through the window; he fled away and escaped.

Then Saul sent messengers to take David. When they saw the company of the prophets in a frenzy, with Samuel standing in charge of them, the spirit of God came upon the messengers of Saul, and they also fell into a prophetic frenzy.

 

Saul was consumed with jealously….fear and hate. The evil spirit that God had allowed to consume his mind was destroying his ability to reason…to love others…to seek God’s will in his life.  He considered David an enemy….and he wanted him dead….out of his mind…out of his life. Four times it is recorded in this chapter alone…that Saul sought to take David’s life.  Four times Saul requests help from servants…family…and messengers assigned to his court.

 

But God was working overtime to protect this one that he had secretly anointed. God used the love he had placed in Jonathan’s and Michal’s hearts…David’s own agility…and the power of the Holy Spirit to weave a protective net around his chosen king.  God may have allowed an evil spirit to consume Saul’s heart…but it was no match for the power that God had surrounded his humble servant.  For what God had planned for David’s future was not controlled by any evil spirit…or any power of man.

 

It must have been hard on David…confusing….frustrating…to have been anointed king…and then have to run for his life so many times. It must have been equally hard and frustrating for Jonathan…and Michal…as they made tough choices to follow God instead of their father.  It may have even been confusing to Samuel…but my guess is that once David got to Samuel’s house…they prayed.

 

David and Samuel must have given a great faith to trust in this confusing plan…they knew that God was in total control…as he allowed David’s military job to be put on hold….Jonathan’s friendship to be temporarily distanced…and Michal’s tender touch of love and support to be cut off for a time. God wove together the perfect plan for David’s protection because God had great plans for his future that no earthly creature could interfere with.  Just like Jeremiah 29:11 says….God knew the plans he had for David’s future….they were plans to prosper him…not to harm him…plans that gave David hope in his future.

 

Father…I thank you for this story that reminds me that even though the events in my life try to trick me into believing that I have no hope…that you are in control. Help me to trust you like David…and Jonathan…and Michal…and Samuel…to prosper me in you time.  Give me a hope so strong in my heat that I can chase away the tricks of satan that try to make me focus on the pain of the past…and concentrate on the job you are training me with in this moment. Help me cling to your promise in Jeremiah…that you have a plan to give me hope in my future.  Then give me the patience I need to wait on your timing…and the strength and wisdom to know where to go to receive your protection. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment