Friday, April 5, 2013

NOthing Can Hinder God's Power....Except Us!


1 Samuel 14:6-7 and 34-35  -  Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, "Come, let's go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few."  "Do all that you have in mind," his armor-bearer said. "Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul."

 Then he said, "Go out among the men and tell them, 'Each of you bring me your cattle and sheep, and slaughter them here and eat them. Do not sin against the LORD by eating meat with blood still in it.' " So everyone brought his ox that night and slaughtered it there.  Then Saul built an altar to the LORD; it was the first time he had done this.

 

As Saul sat in confusion and doubt…his Son Jonathan rose with his armor bearer and crept quietly out of camp.  He acted on the knowledge that God was still with him…and he was powerful enough to conquer the enemy before them. He knew that God could deliver the Philistine army into his hand….even if he went alone.  And that is exactly what happened… Jonathan killed the first twenty or so…then God confused the Philistines so much that they killed each other.

 

The scene rallied the entire army back to its feet…as the Israelite soldiers started coming out of their hiding places to join in the slaughter.  The fought with renewed hope and zeal…they found new courage to complete the task before them through the confidence of Jonathan.  Verse 23 sums it up best…. So the LORD rescued Israel that day, and the battle moved on beyond Beth Aven.”  Saul even built his first altar that day… to cook the animals of the plunder…and prevent the men from sinning and eating undrained meat.

 

This story paints for us the two existing viewpoints of God that we all seem to have.  Jonathan…full of confidence and strength in a God he takes with him before battle… and Saul who builds him an altar as an afterthought.  Jonathan holds in his heart the knowledge of all the mighty miracles God has done before his lifetime….expecting God to do the same for him.  Saul waits in misery and confusion ….going through the motions of asking God for help…but then doing what he thinks will be best. Jonathan….full of courage and faith.  Saul…clinging to just the pieces of God that he wants…using God as some lucky charm in his life.

 

If I am honest with myself…I must admit that I act more like Saul than I do Jonathan. I ask God for help…but don’t always wait on his timing. I have always desired to be more like Jonathan…but satan somehow tricks me into never fully grasping God’s complete power in my life.  And as I read Matthew Henry’s commentary on the chapter…I was  reminded of 2 Timothy3:5  which says…. “having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.”  It hits home as I read that verse…that if I don’t begin to be more like Jonathan…people are being told to have nothing to do with me.

 

Father…I thank you for this story that helps me see that I am not truly what you want me to be. Help me to shake off the feelings of insecurity and doubt that I share with Saul…and put on the courage and attitude of Jonathan. Show me how to sidestep the tricks of satan…that prevent me from seeking your full power in my life. Show me how to step out with new expectations of the power you can give me to complete what you need me to do. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment