Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Comittments Are More Than Mere Words


1 Samuel 18:1-5 -  When David had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was bound to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.  Saul took him that day and would not let him return to his father's house.  Then Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him as his own soul.  Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that he was wearing, and gave it to David, and his armor, and even his sword and his bow and his belt.  David went out and was successful wherever Saul sent him; as a result, Saul set him over the army. And all the people, even the servants of Saul, approved.

 

A true friendship was made the same day David was given the strength and wisdom to slay Goliath…for he was finally introduced to king Saul’s son…Jonathan.  The bond between them was instant…each one’s soul recognizing the love of God in the other. David had nothing to give but his friendship and love…but Jonathan gave David his own royal blood…his robe…his armor and sword…his bow…even his own belt.

 

Most commentaries said that this covenant was made binding between the two by mingling blood one from the other….historically with a cut on the palms of the hands….that was rubbed together. But Jonathan also took off his own robe and gave it to David.  He upgraded his friend’s shepherd status and gave him his own fighting equipment and belt. The exchange gave David the standing of a prince….complete with a trace of the family’s bloodline.

 

A thought was planted in my soul by a wonderful preacher and author a few months ago….Rick Clendenen. In his book...Playing from the Second Chair... outlines the parallel this sweet friendship has to the relationship Christ gives each of us…when we choose to ask him to be our friend. Christ went so far that he shed his own blood on the cross for our sins…then dresses us in the best of his robes.  He equips us with the sword of truth…and the belt of righteousness...so we can fight for him…and share his love with others...the same way he shared his love with us.

 

Jonathan and David’s commitment were based on a mutual love of God.  They let nothing come between them….each day they shared deepened the love they had for each other ….and the God that gave them strength to be so successful.  They remained friends forever...loyal to each other more than to their own families. They model for us the kind of love we should have first for God…then for each other.

 

Father…thank you for this reminder that my commitments are more than mere words. Forgive me for the many times I have made promises to you and others that I have never kept. Help me this day to see my promises as forever binding.  Help me to first deepen my love for you by fulfilling the commitment I made when I was 14. …then show me how to soak up the forgiveness and mercy you offer through you blood sacrifice…and help me make right all the vows I have broken because I let satan trick me into justifying them into something else.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment