Sunday, April 28, 2013

Worship Styles Are Different


2 Samuel 6:13-16  -  After the men who were carrying it had gone six steps, they stopped and waited so David could sacrifice an ox and a fattened calf.  And David danced before the LORD with all his might, wearing a priestly tunic.  So David and all Israel brought up the Ark of the LORD with much shouting and blowing of trumpets.  But as the Ark of the LORD entered the City of David, Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD, she was filled with contempt for him.

 

David took 30,000 troops with him to bring the ark of God back to the City If David.  He had not been told to do so…but it just seemed right to him to have the presence of God within the city where he would rule.  Perhaps he should have waited to retrieve it…for Uzzah was lost in the move because he dared touch the holy structure…and David’s relationship with one of his wives was damaged as well.

 

All the Bible tells us is that Michal looked down from her window and saw the great celebration taking place…and she had contempt for David in that moment. She greets him when he gets home with anger…and accusations of exposing himself to young girls. Perhaps her words were not the best description of David’s dancing and playing of instruments….but David does admit that his dance may have looked foolish to anyone who did not understand the deep emotions he felt for God as he praised him for allowing the ark to return to Jerusalem.

 

This story reminds me that God allows us all to worship the way our hearts believe is best.  Whether we dance…or run…or shout…or play instruments…or lift our hands in praise…or quietly bow our heads in reverence…our hearts are totally lost in the worship of our Lord….and his presence is felt in our lives…recharging us to go out and share his love with others.

 

Michal did not understand David’s worship…because she did not understand God. Her argument was doomed to fail from the beginning…as David was still giddy from the closeness to God his worship had brought.  It must have been lonely and miserable for her the remaining days in the palace…for it says she remained childless because she did not accept David’s way of worship.

 

I will admit that I used to be scared of going to churches that were not Baptist….I wasn’t ready to accept  the many other styles of worship in my head. God has been teaching me how very wrong I was for ever thinking that the Baptist faith had the only correct way to worship patented. He is softening my heart to understand that worship is not about me…it is about him…and true worship becomes a mix of the emotions within the hearts of the people present….and dancing…and singing…and playing instruments…and shouting….and running…are all acceptable…even required by the Lord to show our deepest love for him. I am stretching my understanding of worship…and love to watch other people get lost in the love of the Lord.  I simply can’t get enough church…and love going to different ones to see how they express love to God.

 

Father…thank you for making each of us different creatures…so we can enjoy the many different ways that people have learned to worship you.  Help me to never become like Michal….and put limits on how others express their love for you.  Let me worship you today with the other friends that will gather at my church. …let us lose our selves in the worship of your love for us…and praise you for all that you have done in our lives.  Let me enlarge my repertoire of ways to revere you…and allow your spirit to speak power and wisdom into my heart…so you can use it to help me do the work you have called me to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment