Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Give Thanks For Your Rebukes


1 Samuel 25:32-35  -  David said to Abigail, "Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, who has sent you today to meet me.  May you be blessed for your good judgment and for keeping me from bloodshed this day and from avenging myself with my own hands.  Otherwise, as surely as the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, who has kept me from harming you, if you had not come quickly to meet me, not one male belonging to Nabal would have been left alive by daybreak."  Then David accepted from her hand what she had brought him and said, "Go home in peace. I have heard your words and granted your request."

 

David and his men had been protecting a wealthy man that lived near their stronghold named Nabal… but when David asked him for food…Nabal very rudely turned him away.  David was so angry that he told 400 of his men to put on their swords...and he led them out to take vengeance against this one who had been so rude and callus toward them. If it had not been for the quick thinking and wise words of Nabal’s wife Abigail…David would surely have let satan trick him into killing Nabal…and taking justice into his own hands.

 

It seems so unreal…that David just days before…had used the conscience that God planted in his heart to rebuke his own men….for now he let satan trick him into a quick temper. Maybe it was his hunger…maybe it was the many days of protection they had given to this man…maybe it was sheer exhaustion from all the running he was doing….but he forgot to ask God what to do in this matter...and almost made a horrible mistake. So God sent the sweet…wise…Abigail….who counted on David’s faith in God to save her husband…and in turn saved David from sinning in a great way.

 

He thanked God for the wise…kind woman God sent to intervene before it was too late…and he graciously made her his wife after Nabal died from a stroke just days later. He was thankful not just for the food she sent….but for the way she renewed his ability to see mercy. David gave thanks for the rebuke he received….and the person God had sent to restore it.  David gave thanks to God for his intervention and reminder that vengeance in his alone…just like it was recorded for David in Deuteronomy 32:35… “To me belongeth vengeance and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.”

 

It started me thinking…how many times I have given thanks for the rebukes God has sent my way.  My mind can think of plenty of times when I took justice in my own hands…but is having a hard time remembering any moments when I actually thanked God for his rebuke.  I asked him to forgive me for my wrong…but I did not thank him for the lesson it may have taught me…or thanked him for the person he used to send his message of mercy.

 

Thank you God for giving to me a conscience….and thank you God for the many rebukes you have sent my way when I have allowed satan to trick me into not using it. Help me be more like David….who realized that you sent Abigail to help him…to renew his ability to use the conscience you planted in his heart to make merciful….Godly decisions. Help me to recognize the rebuke and thank you for the mistake it helped me prevent in my life.  Go with me this day…and help me make all my decisions …only after I have asked you what to do. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment