Tuesday, April 2, 2013

God Created... ALL... Our Emotions For Good!


1 Samuel 11: 2-6 -  But Nahash the Ammonite replied, "I will make a treaty with you only on the condition that I gouge out the right eye of every one of you and so bring disgrace on all Israel."  The elders of Jabesh said to him, "Give us seven days so we can send messengers throughout Israel; if no one comes to rescue us, we will surrender to you."  When the messengers came to Gibeah of Saul and reported these terms to the people, they all wept aloud.  Just then Saul was returning from the fields, behind his oxen, and he asked, "What is wrong with the people? Why are they weeping?" Then they repeated to him what the men of Jabesh had said.  When Saul heard their words, the Spirit of God came upon him in power, and he burned with anger.

 

The town of Jabesh was in great trouble.  They had been ‘besieged’ ….an Ammonite with his band og men…had blocked off the city with the intent of conquering it to make them slaves. Maybe it was God’s spirit that let him agree to the seemingly crazy plea of the elders…as they were given 7 days to find someone to rescue them. It turned out to be a stupid bet from the start...for Nahash.  For as soon as Saul heard about it …the spirit of God gave him an intense anger...and he sent out a call for soldiers…and then went straight away with over 330,000 men to rescue Jabesh Gilead.

 

Anger can be a dangerous thing when it is not controlled.  But when the anger is of God…it can be a powerful tool to do his work. Just like Jesus…in Matthew 21:12… “Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves” ….God gave him a powerful anger for the injustice and disrespect the money changers that helped him special and powerful message to us all about how to channel our emotions for good….giving the anger purpose and meaning.

 

And as I sit and process the concept that anger is sometimes good…I know in my heart that this concept works for all the other emotions that God gave us. I know from experience that the pain that comes with grief can sure rip someone to shreds that is not allowing God to channel that pain into changing their life somehow.  But when the pain is channeled into the work he has called to you to do…it becomes a tool to heal…to bring purpose to the pain.  The pain is easier to live with today because it now has meaning and function in my life.

 

What a twofold lesson we can learn from this great story.  Anger is of God…and it can be channeled for good…just like every other emotion he gave us. But we need to guard closely against satan…who easily convinces us to use these powerful tools of God for evil. I know that side from experience too….and am not proud of the times I got out of control over silly things at ball games …or let satan trick me into losing my temper at my kids over trivial things …we will call ‘spilled milk’ over the years. I know from this scripture that God is working in me to channel the anger he created in me to stop injustice and work to help women release the pain of grief in their life…so God can use them like he is using me.

 

Father…I thank you for the powerful emotions you planted in my heart from birth.  I ask you this morning to guard my heart against satan’s evil tricks…that sometimes convince me to rid my life of anger….and the other emotions he uses to weaken our hearts.   Help me instead to learn to channel all my emotions to do your work…and help you rid this world we live of injustice and pain.  Help me to give people your love...that can release them from the chains that pain and anger…that satan uses to make them feel hopeless. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment