Friday, April 19, 2013

Do You Need A Heart Transplant?


1 Samuel 28:3-6 -  Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him, and buried him in Ramah, even in his own city.   And Saul had put away those that had familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land.    And the Philistines gathered themselves together, and came and pitched in Shunem:  and Saul gathered all Israel together, and they pitched in Gilboa.    And when Saul saw the host of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart greatly trembled.    And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.  
 
Saul found himself staring in many eyes of the mighty army of the Philistines. It was a fearful sight….an army of warriors so enormous that Saul cowered in fear. He couldn’t ask Samuel what to do…for he had died…and God would not answer him…not by his dreams….prophets ...or even if he used the urim himself.  Frustrated….scared and wishing he hadn’t  banned all the wizards and mediums from Israel…he broke his own rule about using wizards and witchcraft… and sought out a woman to use her dark powers to raise the spirit of Samuel.
 
He did not feel any better about his situation after he spoke with Samuel…for Samuel only repeated what he had told Saul while he was still alive…and added to it a message of death….for Saul and his sons. Samuel reminded him of how God had given his kingdom to David many years before….because he had not followed all of God’s laws. He told Saul that his days would end on the next day…and that his sons would also die with him.
 
It was so easy for Saul to revert back to the use of wizardry and mediums.  He had banned them from his kingdom for a time…but sought one out quickly when God was silent.  His heart had good intentions… but no real resolve to carry through with the commitment he had made. His mouth had spoken wise words …but his heart had never really committed the promise to God. And breaking his rule….using evil to find out what to do… did not help him one bit…it just confirmed his fears even deeper into his soul.  The problem Saul faced really had nothing to do with the evil powers he sought out to get his answers….the problem for Saul in this moment was realizing he had made a promise to God that he simply did not mean in his heart.
 
I sure understand Saul’s problem here….for I am guilty of making promises every day that I have failed to carry through with. I make well intentioned promises every day…then realize later… that to keep them would require more of my heart than I have asked God to help me give. I really cannot brag that I have truly kept any of my promises to God completely.  But that is the great thing about God… for I can realize in this moment that I can do better…if I ask him to help me….than let his power carry me farther than I ever could on my own.  If I place God’s word in my heart…and meditate on it day and night…then my life will be more acceptable in his sight…and he will give me the strength to completely change my heart…so his rules won’t just be a rule or promise to keep…they will become the very heart of what I believe will keep me close to his will for my life.
 
Father…I thank you for your great love…that forgives me for my many failings.  I thank you that your mercy and love can wash me clean of all my past sin…and help me to change my heart.  Help me this morning to search my heart for your presence…..then examine every action I intend to make today.  Let my heart be so full of your love …that I think like you think...and consider your ways in all that I do.  Give me a complete heart transplant if you need to…so I can begin to walk completely in your will for my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment