Saturday, April 27, 2013

Praise The Lord for EVERYTHING!


2 Samuel 5:18-20 -  The Philistines arrived and spread out across the valley of Rephaim.  So David asked the LORD, "Should I go out to fight the Philistines? Will you hand them over to me?"The LORD replied, "Yes, go ahead. I will certainly give you the victory."  So David went to Baal-perazim and defeated the Philistines there. "The LORD has done it!" David exclaimed. "He burst through my enemies like a raging flood!" So David named that place Baal-perazim (which means "the Lord who bursts through").

 

The leaders of Israel had come to acknowledge that God had Chosen David as their leader… David made a contract with them to be their shepherd and leader…and the anointing  that Samuel had performed when David was a young boy…was made real as they placed the crown on his head. David wasted no time making Zion his home…clearing out the people who taunted him….renaming the city after himself….and reinforcing the walls around it to make it more safe.

 

He had many choices of where to begin the great task of clearing Canaan of pagans….but he seemed to always ask God what to do next. Then he listened and obeyed Gods directives…and gave him praise for each victory in battle. His great faith…mixed with just enough humbleness…proved to be a great combination…for David grew stronger and stronger as he followed what God wanted him to do.

 

How wonderful it must have felt to walk free …leaving the memories of running and hiding in the past.  Oh how David must have thanked God for his new home…and the peace that came with the fulfillment of the promise he had been given so long ago. The waiting …the terror and confusion of being hated….the pangs of hunger as he begged for food…it was all ended as he renamed Zion…The City of David...and made it his home.

 

It is a reminder to me that I must continually strive to find the right combination of faith…confidence and humbleness.  I must know deep in my heart that God is there waiting to help me…then ask him what to do.  Then I must be ready to do what he says…and trust that he will bless it and make me stronger for being obedient. Then I must exclaim …like David my thanks for everything he has done. I must also put the past in the past…exchanging the memories of the mistakes I made…and the suffering God has allowed…to become a greater strength.

 

Father…I thank you this morning for this story that you have used to remind me of my need to praise you.  I praise you for the many good blessings you have showered upon me…and I praise you for the storms of life you have brought me through.  Help me to always remember to ask you before I act in the future….about all that I think about doing.  Then give me your ears to hear the answer…plain and clear…and the patience to wait when your timing does not match my earthly timeline. Turn all my memories of the past into sweet reminders of how you have guided me throughout my life…and then show me how to use the many lessons they have taught me …so I can be your servant here on earth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment