Saturday, April 20, 2013

God's Providence Protects


1 Samuel 29:1-3 -  Now the Philistines gathered all their forces at Aphek; and the Israelites were encamped by the fountain which is in Jezreel.  As the lords of the Philistines were passing on by hundreds and by thousands, and David and his men were passing on in the rear with A'chish,  the commanders of the Philistines said, "What are these Hebrews doing here?" And A'chish said to the commanders of the Philistines, "Is not this David, the servant of Saul, king of Israel, who has been with me now for days and years, and since he deserted to me I have found no fault in him to this day."

 

The Philistines had gathered their troops to meet Saul’s army…David’s men bringing up the rear of the line.  But the Philistine leaders did not want him there…they feared that he would turn against them…as if his living there for the last year had been some great rouse to trick them into trusting them in battle…for the sole purpose of killing them from within.

 

Somewhere over the last year David had lived and served as king Achish’s bodyguard….he had let his frustration mask his loyality to the nation of Israel.  He was so far removed from his anointing to be king someday….he was willing to live with…and even join in the killing of his own people. Thank God that the Lord of all creation…used the leaders of the Philistine army to send David back….for God’s intervention saved him from what could have been a very difficult situation later. 

 

David has no clue just how far he has slipped form God’s anointing for him.  He is lost in his loneliness…and so lulled by the pats of love from king Achish...that he doesn’t even hear God talking to him.  God has to intervene by using pagans….who worship other gods…to keep David from making a very terrible mistake.

 

Makes me wonder how many times God has saved me the same way….and I did not even know it. And it makes me wonder how many times God might have used me to help him intervene for someone else. God’s providence …a mystery we should be grateful for…even if we don’t know we have ever had the pleasure of knowing he provided it for us.

 

Father…I thank you for the many times you have guided me with your great mercy and providence.  Help me to open my ears and eyes to all those around me that you are using to gently guide me the way you need me to go.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment