Sunday, April 21, 2013

Tragedy ....OR.... Blessing


1 Samuel 30:6-8  -  And David was greatly distressed; for the people spoke of stoning him, because all the people were bitter in soul, each for his sons and daughters. But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God.  And David said to Abi'athar the priest, the son of Ahim'elech, "Bring me the ephod." So Abi'athar brought the ephod to David.  And David inquired of the LORD, "Shall I pursue after this band? Shall I overtake them?" He answered him, "Pursue; for you shall surely overtake and shall surely rescue."

 

David and his men returned to Ziklag to find the town completely burned to the ground.  The Amalekites had come while they were off to battle and destroyed the town….and after they had plundered the town….they took all the women …children…and livestock captive.  David’s men were so bitter that they thought of stoning him…blaming him for the loss of their families and possessions.

 

Even though David was distressed… he strengthened himself in the Lord…turned away the temptation to be bitter and have a pity party….and sent for the ephod that held the urim and thurmin.  Then he asked the Lord what he should do….and gladly set feet to God’s directions. He and his men went to defeat the men who took their families…and brought them back home.

 

Tragedy has a way of focusing your brain on the hurt you feel.  And then satan grabs that small seed of bitterness and anger…and tries to explode it in your soul.  He wants you to turn from God and blame him for your loss. Satan wants you to hate God so much that you stay confined in your bitterness… useless to God and his plan for the rest of your life. And sadly… most of us act just like David’s men…and let the bitterness turn us into people of hate…blaming anyone that we can find for our pain… locked in a lifelong pity party that hides our eyes form the one person who can show us the way out of our pain.

 

But David modeled for us how to keep that seed of bitterness in check ….by turning to the only one who can help us when life throws those huge curveballs that devastate our soul.  His pain ….was seared into the heart that was just like his father…and it remembered the comfort he had once felt in those fields with the sheep.  David remembered the father above that had the answered so many prayers before…and he sent for the urim and thurmin to inquire of God what he should do.

 

There is a powerful comfort when you seek God as David did.  God fills the gaping hole in your heart with his love…and even returns some of your joy in the process. I can testify that David’s plan still works…for this story mirrors my own struggle with the pain of loss. My urim and thurmin are his Bible ….prayer….and the Christian friends he has placed around me to be my support. They have provided for me a new purpose and helped me to let go of ‘some’ of my pain. The passion God placed in my soul to learn more about his Bible…has kept the bitterness of satan far away from my soul….and the tears that slip out of my eyes on random occasions….continue to wash away the sadness and sorrow of my loss….and remind me that only God’s love can fill the hole in my heart.  Your tragedy becomes a blessing in disguise…that shows you that nothing in your life was more important than the God who gave you life.

 

Father…I thank you for the tragedies in my life that have brought me closer to you than I ever knew was possible.  Help me to recognize satan…the next time he tries to trick me into a pity party… and pull out your Bible…and seek you in prayer…so you can pull me closer to your side. Continue to wash away my tears of sadness…and replace them with your will for my life…that gives it purpose …and helps me understand the reason for my pain.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment