Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Ask God To Bless Others


Psalm 20:1-4 -  May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.  May he send you help from the sanctuary and grant you support from Zion.  May he remember all your sacrifices and accept your burnt offerings. "Selah"  May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.

 

This Psalm is different.  Most of David’s psalms cry out to God to fix something for himself….but this one asks God to bless someone else. Perhaps it was a blessing for one of his son’s…or perhaps it was a prayer for all the people…but its words model for us what to say to God when we are praying for the needs of the ones we care for.

 

The three components of this prayer should be included in every request we make to God for friends …family…and any other important people we are concerned about.  We should ask God to come to their aide…to be present with them as they deal with the circumstances that have distressed them. We should pray his protection…and that he send the support of the Holy Spirit to lift them up and give them strength. Then we should ask God to give them the desires of their heart.

 

We are only as strong as we ask God to make us.  Our friends …family…and government leaders are only as strong as we ask God to make them. Some of our prayer time each day should be for the needs of others...asking God to bless…and nurture…and help them grow in knowledge of God’s love…so they can experience the desires of their heart.

 

It is a reminder to me….that my prayer time can be expanded …especially when it comes to praying for my country’s government leaders. I can complain all I want too…but till enough of us lift our complaints and fears to God … he will allow the problems to stay in our midst.  I should do my part to help convince God to come and fix things….like Moses used to do when he was praying for the people God gave him to lead.

 

Father...thank you for the reminder that I need to focus more of my prayer time on others….and the problems I see tearing your great creation apart. This morning I ask you to change the habits of my heart …to pray for myself more than I do for others. I lift up my family …and my friends…and every leader in every nation around me.  Bless them father…ease any pain they feel from distress…and send the comforter you promised to strengthen and support them while you are working your plan in their lives. I ask this morning a special blessing on the world’s government and leaders. Impress upon their hearts the need to include you in everything they do…so this world can be convinced that you are the only way to be truly saved. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment