Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Expressing Your Deep Emotions To God Gives You Strength To Wait


Psalm 13:1-6 - How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?  How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?  Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;  my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes will rejoice when I fall.  But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.  I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.

 

David found himself struggling with patience many times in his life.  Perhaps these words were penned as he hid from Saul…trying to understand why God did not explain his great plan to him and end the craziness of trying to kill him.  God wasn’t giving him any answers…and David was just plain tired…exhausted from the physical and emotional baggage he was having to carry in his heart every day.

 

The pure heart that loved God so much just turned to him and kept asking him why.  His honesty with God allowed him to vent his deepest hurt and pain…unloading it on the one person that would not judge him for being weak. He begged for God to at least let him know…how long…he needed to endure this season of life that was so very hard.

 

I believe it was David’s expression of his true deep emotions...that provided him the strength to go on. His questions became requests for new light to understand his plight.  His pleas for answers became statements of trust in God.  His trust in God led him to worship  and praise him for just being. For deep in David’s heart…he knew… that he knew …that he knew God would answer him …someday…and the only way he could wait would be to hold God’s hand until that day came.

 

I keep reading passages that reinforce that the answer to the pressures and pain we feel in life is to turn to God in prayer.  God loves it when we come to him with our honest emotions…and begin to ask him to handle the struggles of life for us…instead of us trying to do everything ourselves. Our expression of honest emotions allows us to vent them directly to the only source that can ease the pain and pressure…and we experience the trust that David felt …that builds our faith so deep it cannot be shaken…no matter how long we have to wait on answers.  It leads us to thank God in pure worship…even in our saddest times of life.

 

Father…thank you for the opportunity to come to you with any problem I experience in life. I thank you that it is okay to ask you why…to vent to you the deepest hurts in my heart. Help me to build the kind of trust that David had in you…so I can ride out any storm that you allow in my life.  Use the time I have to wait to teach me how to love you more deeply…and praise you just for being you. Give me opportunities each day to sing your praises and tell of all the blessings you have showered on me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment