Monday, December 16, 2013

Growing Up....Milk Or Solid Food


Psalm 25:1-5 - To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul;  in you I trust, O my God. Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me.  No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame, but they will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse.  Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;  guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

 

David’s many Psalms span the emotions we feel throughout our lives. This one speaks of his trust in God…even though he felt penned in on all sides. He was begging God to get him through another uncertain time…and reveal just enough of the bigger plan for his life to help him find hope and strength.

 

We’ve all been there…faced uncertain times…been confused at the many choices in life we can make. We have all felt like David at some point in our lives….but do we always react with as much confidence as he did?

 

I have to admit that I am weak…frail…needy….even sinful.  At my lowest times… a fog of funk surrounds me and traps me in my house.  I even sidestep church those weekends…just wanting to lay on the couch and watch movies…not wanting to explain to anyone how down I feel.  I never feel any better for the choice to retreat from the world for those few days.

 

God is loving…forgiving…merciful…all knowing. He alone knows the plan he has to lift me out of the funk…for he always does.  Sometimes I see the reason I let myself be trapped …..and sometimes I don’t.  But I am always assured that God is watching over me.  This time he sent a sweet friend to check on me...and pray for me. He knew just what I needed….and sent it to me…even though I didn’t deserve it.

 

This scripture reminds me that it all boils down to how mature in God we are…so I guess I have some more studying to do…to learn how to kick satan to the curb the next time he attacks my emotions. The writer of Hebrews 5 must have been writing to people just like me….for he explains it so well. He said in verses 12-14… “ In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!  Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.  But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.” 

 

David must have felt the same way throughout his life….for he goes on to say in verse 8-9…. “The LORD is good and does what is right; he shows the proper path to those who go astray.  He leads the humble in what is right, teaching them his way.”  David knew…no matter what...that God would always be there…he just had to ask for his help.  And he always did. He always asked God to teach him just a bit more about his love….so he could move out of his pain and find new purpose for the sins he committed through forgiveness.

 

Father…teach me more about you this morning…just enough to lift me out of the funk fog that settled over me this weekend.  Guide me….show me your paths….help me uncover the work you have for me to do. Defend me from satan’s attacks…pardon me from all my sins…and help me grow up and stop drinking pure milk all the time. Instill in me a need to know more about you…and start feeding off the solid food that Paul spoke of. Thank you for the friends…that you sent to help me…and pray for me.  Thank you for not letting me stay down…but showing me the way out …again. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment