Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Strength Of Confession


Psalm 38:15-18 -  I wait for you, O LORD; you will answer, O Lord my God.  For I said, "Do not let them gloat or exalt themselves over me when my foot slips."  For I am about to fall, and my pain is ever with me.  I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin.

 

David did a lot of waiting…some in fields watching sheep….some in the palace of Saul playing his harp…and still more hiding in caves. This Psalm was even written when he was in physical pain from some disease…that others were even afraid to come near him.

 

His pain was so great that he felt he could not bear it...and might slip and fall in his Christian walk at any moment. He felt separated from everyone he loved…and couldn’t bear being separated from God…so he did the only thing he knew to do…confess his sins to God…and pour out the guilt and pain to him. 

 

It was his honesty with God and those around him that gave him the bit of strength he needed to wait just a bit longer for God’s answer. It was his humble confession of his sin that allowed God to strengthen and heal him from the affliction in his physical body. It was his admission of guilt that allowed God to wash him clean again in the blood of the sacrifices offered for his sin.

 

We have an even better deal with God than David did…for God sent his own son into the world to die for our sins.  He shed his precious blood to make the last sacrifice ever needed to forgive any sin that would ever be committed. His blood can wash us clean and give us the strength to turn our mistakes into messages of hope for others. His blood can give us the strength to wait on God…for his plan is never what we think it will be.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder that I am a sinner and I am constantly on the brink of falling to more sin.  Thank you for sending your son to save and sacrifice his blood for me and everyone else that will call on his name and believe.  Help me to start each day asking you to search my heart for hidden sin that might make me fall…so I can confess it to you and ask you to remove it from my heart. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment