Monday, December 2, 2013

When You Feel Like Running Away...Run To God


Psalm 11:1 and 4 -  In the LORD I take refuge. How then can you say to me: "Flee like a bird to your mountain.

The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne. He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them.

 

There were times in David’s life when he had to hide from his enemies. But he never felt he had to run from them. As he hid from King Saul…..or he tried to gather those around him that had not followed his son Absalom’s rebellion…his heart knew that God was working some great plan to save him…and had provided a safe place for him to wait out the storm around him.

 

There were those around him that did not understand David’s lack of fear.  They advised him to run even further up the mountains from his enemies. They advised him to take matters into his own hands and flee from his problems completely.  They advised him to use what human strength he had to fight the enemies that threatened him.

 

But David knew that he was right where he needed to be…because God was in his Holy Temple…and had anointed him…and was watching every move that was made on the Earth around him.  David knew that he was being protected by powers that David could not provide for himself if he ran. David’s faith in God’s love and covering helped him maintain hope…resisting the fear that gripped those around him.

 

David used his faith to wait out the storm exactly where God had led him to hide.  God used the time hiding in those caves to write some of the great prayers we use today to find strength and courage when things get rough in life.  God used the time to deepen David’s relationship with him…instead of gain false pride in his human skills and abilities.

 

Father...thank you for the reminder that I need not run to the mountains when I am struggling with things I do not understand.  Help me find the place you have provided for me to wait out the storms around me…till you have pieced together the plan that will provide peace and comfort and new growth.  Use every moment that I have to teach me more about your great love and care…and help me to grow closer to you.  Show me how to use the talents and skills you planted in me at birth to help others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment