Monday, December 30, 2013

We Are Guests...Passing Through


Psalm 39:4-6 -  "LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away.  My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to you; human existence is but a breath."  We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth for someone else to spend.

 

David’s wisdom never ceases to amaze me.  He is trying to curb his own complaining of just how hard life is at the moment…and he ends up praying and reminding himself just how fragile and short life truly is. His reflections become a humble work of few words…that remind us all just what our short life should be about.

 

God knows exactly what we need…and has a plan in place to provide for us everything in his vision. We tend to think we have to do things on our own…work for things…but in truth those ‘things’ can be a barrier to a deeper relationship with God.  Just like Jesus told the crowd on the hillside in Luke 12:30-31…  These things dominate the thoughts of most people, but your Father already knows your needs.  He will give you all you need from day to day if you make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.

 

Those of us that have lost loved ones understand the brevity of life…and the pain that constantly knocks on the heart.  It does help to think of the wonderful life they are experiencing in Heaven….but it doesn’t help to grieve too long over their absence.  We were left with many more on earth that won’t ever see the gates of heaven if we sit and grieve over our loss. We truly only have a moment to share god’s love with all of those that have never seen or felt it.

 

It’s a good reminder for me…for I am retiring at the end of this year.  It is a wonderful promise to know that God has a plan in place to care for me...a new purpose…to touch and change lives that may not have been told about God’s love yet. Sure he had a hand in collecting the retirement account I will draw from come June…he was working his bigger plan…and I don’t need to worry about any of the other details. They will be revealed as he sees I need them.

 

Thank you God for reminding me that I am but a guest on your great planet. My days are numbered just as David’s were.  People are more important than things. I can’t take anything I collect to heaven with me…I won’t need it there anyway. Help me to always remember to enjoy the things that you have provided for me…instead of worrying about things I think I need. Open my eyes to the beauty around me…in the little things …the family…the people that surround me each day.  Help me to be a model of your great love and show them that you are the way to happiness and contentment in this short life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment