Thursday, December 19, 2013

Believe In Advance


Psalm 28:6-9 - Praise the LORD! For he has heard my cry for mercy. The LORD is my strength, my shield from every danger. I trust in him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. The LORD protects his people and gives victory to his anointed king. Save your people! Bless Israel, your special possession! Lead them like a shepherd, and carry them forever in your arms.

 

It’s hard to believe that moments before David wrote these words he was begging God for mercy and help. His words sound like someone ecstatic from a wonderful moment of blessing. David had somehow hidden away the joy of God in his heart…so he could tap into it any time he felt down or fearful.  He was even able to praise God in advance for what he was going to do.

 

David’s secret was a continuing relationship with God that believed God was going to deliver him from anything the world could throw at him. It’s kinda like that feeling we had as children…when we still believed that Santa was real….and anything we asked for would be under that tree Christmas morning….no matter how unreasonable it seemed to our brain. Then we grew up…lived in a home unable to afford the luxury we asked for…or for some other reason we did not get what we asked for…and we  stopped believing.

 

David never stopped believing in God. As he grew…he maintained his strength by praying and reading the scriptures.  He poured his heart out by singing praises…even when he didn’t see any tangible blessings in his life.  He knew …that he knew… that he knew that God would show up…and give him exactly what he needed…exactly when he needed it.

 

I want to grow up some day and be strong like David was….able to believe that good is waiting for me…even when the world shows me sadness and pain. I am not there yet….but I am trying.  I read that Bible every day…and I try to pray every day….so someday…I may get there. Somehow I have to change my … “maybe I will get there” …mentality to a … “God is going to get me there”…mindset.

 

Father….you know exactly what I need…and exactly when to give it to me so it will help me the most.  Oh how I want to believe …I cry out like the father in Mark 9:24…  "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Set my mind and my heart so completely on you that the world cannot get me off track again.  Show me how to trust you like David….and praise you through the storms of life.  Help me release all of the past that makes me feel sad…and only use those memories that will help me be who you need me to be in the present….or will train me for some purpose in the future. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Daniel. I am always amazed when God allows me to hear that someone has been blessed by what I write. Your encouragement warms my heart...and confirms that I am doing what God intended...for once in my life! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete