Monday, December 23, 2013

Confession Is More Than The Words... "I'm Sorry."


Psalm 32:1-5 -  Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.  Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.  When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.  For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. "Selah"  Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin. "Selah"

 

This song was written at a very humble time in David’s life. Most commentator’s felt he had just experienced the cleansing of God’s forgiveness after he had been convicted of his sin with Bathsheba.  He felt blessed…forgiven….covered.  His heart was bursting with thankfulness that God loved him enough to let him have another chance.

 

His song describes what happens to our spirits when we try to cover up the sin in our lives…once we know it is there. David’s heart was so heavy after Nathan had confronted him with his sin. He had let satan trick him into thinking that he could love any woman he wanted as king…and even murder her husband to cover the accidental pregnancy that resulted from his sin.  Nathan had to smack him right in the face….so to speak…with a story that spoke of exactly what David had done…to help him see the hold satan had gotten in his life.

 

David’s confession let God know that he was sorry for what he had done….so God could begin the process of forgiving David….and place the control that satan had on David’s life back in God’s hands where it belonged.  God washed the sin away….removed the guilt…..covered the sin forever…and even cleared the record so David could start over…smarter…wiser….less prone to be tricked by satan the next time he came sneaking around.

 

We need to remember one thing about David’s confession. It was not just the magic combination of simple words….”I’m Sorry.” David’s confession came from the deepest part of his soul.  He told God that he was a horrible person for what he had done…he named the sin in his life and admitted what it had done to separate him from the God he loved so much.  He asked God to forgive him…and made sacrifices to him in the Tabernacle to atone for the sin.

 

Jesus made it possible for us to be forgiven in an even simpler way.  He has already paid the price for any sin we will ever do ….when he died on that cross to save us.  All we have to do is search our heart for sin that satan has tricked us into doing…..tell God we realize it has corrupted our hearts….and ask him to forgive us.  If we have let the confession come from the deepest part of our hearts as David did…Jesus is quick to ask his father to forgive us.  His cleansing forgiveness transforms our lives into miracles of mercy…and we become living examples of David’s words that were so important that Paul repeated them in Romans 4:7-8…  "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.  Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him."

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I might have sin in my life that has gone unnoticed.  Help me today to search my heart for any of that hidden sin…so I can confess it and let you wash it out of my life.  Thank you for forgiving me already of so much …and allowing me the second chances you have already provided.  Help me to see the ways you can use my forgiven sin to speak to others who are still hiding from you.  Help me to always let confession be a daily part of my time with you…so I am not tricked as easily by satan’s lies and tricks. Help my confessions come from the deepest part of my heart…so that you know I am truly sorry and want to you to transform me into a better person. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment