Tuesday, December 24, 2013

God is Watching Us...EVERYTHING We Do


Psalm 33:13-15 and 22 - From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind;  from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth--  he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.

May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.

 

No title is written on this Psalm as the others before it.  Maybe we are to assume that David wrote it…because he wrote most of the others…or perhaps someone else wrote this Psalm. I am pretty sure this one wasn’t written on Christmas Eve…or had anything to do with Santa Claus…but I couldn’t help but reflect on the possibility that Santa got the idea to watch us…keep a list and check it twice from God…maybe even from reading this Psalm.

 

Whether you believe in Santa or not….the spirit he represents would have made God proud.  His loving heart works all year to make toys and gifts for all.  He unselfishly loads a sleigh with all his gifts and leaves his home each Christmas Eve.  And with some supernatural power that I will assume is God’s…he breaks all the rules of time to deliver to the whole world’s population of children…of all ages… all his precious gifts in 12 hours of nightfall…or 24 if you think about the way the sun rises at different times around the world.

 

He still comes to my house…even though my children are grown.  I hang my stockings each year…adding girlfriends and possible spouses…and somehow they get filled with the traditional gifts each year. A pack of cards…some guitar picks and new strings for the boys…jewelry or makeup for the girls…a new flashlight…some candy and smelly stuff. He knows if they have been good or bad…and leaves them presents in spite of any mess ups they have committed.  To this day they have never gotten coal…even though they deserved it some years.

 

I will admit that I put way more hope in God that I do in Santa.  Santa is just a means to keep the child alive in my heart each Christmas. God is truly the one who keeps track of all I do…good or bad…and amazingly ..he loves me in spite of anything bad I have let satan trick me into doing.  And when life has given me coal a couple of times…God has squeezed it with his supernatural power and love and turned it into a beautiful diamond…a little rough around the edges…but the potential to shine bright to the world if I let him keep working on me.

 

Thank you God for the great saints that have modeled for us the true meaning of love.  I thank you for what Santa Claus represents this morning…and thank you for the many gifts he has brought to my family over the years. I pray you give him travel mercies as he delivers his presents tonight…. and that some of that great love he has will spill out of the sleigh as he travels…. and fall on the people of the world…so we can keep his spirit of giving alive all year in 2014.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment