Sunday, December 8, 2013

Live A Life Of Constant Repentance


Psalm 17:6-10 -   I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer.  Show the wonder of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.  Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings from the wicked who assail me, from my mortal enemies who surround me.  They close up their callous hearts, and their mouths speak with arrogance.

 

Oh that we could all pray with the confidence of David. These words probably written one night while he was hiding from Saul…lifting his cry to God to save him and give him confidence to endure the hard conditions of that season of life. He was thankful that God had provided somewhere for him to hide…and sought him every moment he wasn’t fighting to gain the strength and courage to stay put till God told him it was time to fight.

 

I love the sweet words that David used to ask God to keep loving him…and blessing him…to keep him as a favored believer…the apple of God’s eye. Perhaps from reading Deuteronomy 32:11…He knew somehow that God had hid him from Saul’s men…perhaps the way a mother bird covers her young with its strong wing.  He wanted to be hidden in the shadow of God’s wing….so that Saul and his men would not find him and kill him.

 

The key to David’s strong prayers comes in the statement he makes in verse 10. He had not allowed the world to make his heart callous or arrogant.  He constantly admitted his many sins to God and provided sacrifices to atone for them.  He lived a life of constant repentance before God and always thanked and praised God for everything…good and bad …that came his way.  He believed that his fervent humility and heart checks would someday allow him to meet God face to face…when he woke from an earthly death in Heaven.

 

It is a great reminder to me to constantly include in my own prayers a statement of my many sins…and request Jesus cover them and forgive them. It is his grace and the sacrificial death of his son Jesus… on that ugly cross…that can wash me as clean as David’s many sacrifices to God.  It is only by his blood that I will ever share the promise of a face to face meeting with God…his son…and the Holy Spirit that guides my thoughts and actions each day. I can do nothing on my own…but everything in Christ’s strength.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me this morning that I am fully human…and sin anew each day with my thoughts and my actions.  Forgive me this morning for any sins I may have committed since I last ask you to forgive me…and bring these many sins to my mind…so I can use scripture to prevent satan from trapping me again.  Make me bold and confident  like David….so the presence of the Holy Spirit can dwell richly in my heart and overflow your love to all that cross my path. Thank you God for all the wonderful blessings you have given me thus far…and thank you for giving me the strength and wisdom to overcome the many bad things you have allowed in my life to teach and train me.  Thank you once again for your son’s sacrifice on that cruel cross…help me to always appreciate what he did to save me as I try to walk daily in your will.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment