Saturday, December 21, 2013

Have You Found Your Joy This Morning?


Psalm 30:2-5 -  O LORD my God, I cried out to you for help, and you restored my health.  You brought me up from the grave, O LORD. You kept me from falling into the pit of death.  Sing to the LORD, all you godly ones! Praise his holy name.  His anger lasts for a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may go on all night, but joy comes with the morning.

 

David understood the full power of God’s anger.  He lost a precious son once…because he had conceived him in great sin. His whole town was besieged by a horrible plague once…because one of the men he had chosen to help move the ark tried to touch it. But David tells us here that God’s discipline does not last our whole lifetime….he restores our joy….even reestablishes us with his grace and mercy to be stronger and more successful than we were before.  

 

David tells us here to sing to him…give thanks to him…to cry at night when we need too…but get up the next morning and feel the sweet joy of restoration fill our hearts with the power to go on and find new purpose for the pain we suffered.  God wants us to learn from the discipline he allows in our life…that we need to change…be transformed by the renewing of our minds….as Paul says in Romans 12:2.

 

It’s easy to praise God when we see him heal someone from a fatal health condition…..cancer….heart conditions galore…aneurisms…or perhaps blood clots.  It’s harder to praise and thank him when the prayers are answered with no healing…and death comes knocking at the door of your loved one. We can’t see…we can’t feel…the joy they feel as they stand in God’s presence.  We only fill the emptiness of the space they once occupied in our lives.

 

I know all great losses are not the result of some sin we harbored in our lives….but the concept David is trying to teach is the same for all sadness and mourning.  David was explaining to us why he changed his clothes and washed his face when he heard of his son’s death in 2 Samuel 12.  He even went to the temple to praise God ….to begin anew walking in God’s purpose and strength for the days to come.  David is telling us not to live in the past…to let it go…and start the next morning we wake with a new purpose in our heart…so God can use the pain he helped us endure to help others.

 

David’s right folks…I know first hand the pain of loss.  There is not a day that goes by that I don’t miss the gift God gave me for 4 short months.  Mitchell’s love restored the abandoned feeling that gripped my heart after the divorce. He helped heal my broken heart and teach me what true love really is. I have to thank God for our sweet 3 months of dating…and the wonderful month of marriage he blessed me with before he called him home to heaven.

 

To be honest…God used his death to teach me some valuable lessons about myself….how I needed to be more attached to God than a person in my life. I began the blog because Mitchell once told me I needed to write. He was basing that on some very cheesy e-mails we sent first thing when we got to our different schools to teach ….but God used the memory of those words to tug at my heart till I sat down for the first time to process what I had read in his great Bible each night.

 

Oh father…how I thank you for the last 3 years of Bible reading and writing.  It has given me new purpose and kept me from crying non-stop because I lost Mitchell. I have been blessed so many times to hear that you are using the simple words you help me write each day in countries around the world. I praise you …like David did…for helping me to wash my face and find new purpose for my pain. I thank you for the short time you gave me with Mitchell and how you used him to heal my broken heart. I pray this morning that you help me keep the joy I feel in my heart forever….so strong that satan can never trick me into being sad again. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment