Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Open The Ears Of My heart


Psalm 19:1-4 -  The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.  Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge.  There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun

 

This moment in David’s life might have been a reflection on one of the beautiful sunrises…or sunsets that God paints across the morning and evening skies each day. To watch a sunrise from the moment it peeks its fiery globe above the horizon…keep track of its travel across the sky all day…then watch closely as it paints a display of color and disappear to light another part of the world….is to feel the presence and glory of God in a supernatural way.

 

The light of the sun God created …shines each day to reveal the majesty of everything else he made to provide for our needs here on Earth. Nothing speaks more loudly than the silence of the sun.  Even at night its reflection is seen in the moon…as if God placed a giant mirror in the sky to assure us that day will return each morning.

 

My smitten heart…captured completely by the wonder of it all… has a hard time understanding how anyone can say the world just happened some other way than explained by the Bible. God created this beautiful intricate world…and controls it day by day to provide what man needs to sustain his life here.  And if we stop trying to explain everything with a science lesson…God might just open up the ears of your heart to hear his deeper words of beauty in the sunrise…sunset…rain…even the storms and snow ….which by the way is one of my favorite displays of God’s craftsmanship…and is absolutely beautiful falling outside my window as I write this morning.

 

David goes on in this chapter to say God didn’t just create the world….but gave us rules to keep order while we are here. They help us identify sin in our lives…so we can ask God’s forgiveness.  And we must receive that forgiveness so God can open up the way of salvation he provided for each of us…to ensure that we can live with him forever. If we take the time to listen to the silence of the creation ….God uses it to humble us….so that following God’s law’s actually frees us…so that salvation can save us from certain death.

 

It makes me realize that I was hoping for a snow day for selfish reasons…just wanting a day to rest and veg out. I should be wishing for a day to sit and watch his creation…so he can speak wisdom with the silence of that frozen crystal we call snow. Perhaps if I open my heart to listen a bit today…I will hear some of those answers I have been praying for…instead of trying to work them all out on my own.

 

Father …I thank you for the many displays of heavenly speech you have allowed me to watch with my human eyes. Help me to open wide my heart to hear the wisdom in each display of your creation.  Show me the rules that I need to understand on a deeper level…so that I can identify any sin that might be affecting my hearing this morning. Cleanse me with that new fallen snow…and refresh me with the coolness of its touch on my heart. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment