Friday, December 27, 2013

Keep The Wisdom God Has Given You


Psalm 36:1-3 -  An oracle is within my heart concerning the sinfulness of the wicked: There is no fear of God before his eyes.  For in his own eyes he flatters himself too much to detect or hate his sin.  The words of his mouth are wicked and deceitful; he has ceased to be wise and to do good.

 

David had a lot of time to think about the state of things around him.  This Psalm may have been written as a result of reflection about this son Absalom….who sought to kill his own father to gain access to the throne. It must have been painful for him to speak these words….and even more painful to write them permanently on paper.

 

We all know at least one person this scripture fits…they started out a great Christian influence and now they have drifted into some self-centered world of flattery and deceit. Sometimes they have no clue how bad they have really gotten…for the mirror they look in every day doesn’t show the ugliness they have let creep into their heart.

 

It is easy to look around us and judge others…but the truth is I should have the same oracle in my heart every moment of every day…for myself… and guard against these words being spoken about me. Satan easily plants a seed of selfishness…then sits back and watches as it grows into a big enough threat to harden my heart ...so I don’t see what I am becoming.

 

David clung to the hope that God’s love could fix even the evil in his son’s heart.  If it could reach to the highest heaven…and touch the sand in the deepest ocean…it could seep into Absalom’s heart and save him too. And for those of us it has saved from any wicked behavior...we understand the depth of his love that brought us out of the dark….into God’s light and salvation.

 

Father…thank  you for reminding me this morning that I must constantly guard against the selfishness that tries so hard to control me each day. Allow your love to protect me from losing the wisdom you have tried to give me….and refresh me with daily time spent with your word…so that I can recognize satan’s tricks.  Place in my heart the scriptures that I need to fight him with…so that he will leave me alone to do the work you need me to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment