Thursday, December 12, 2013

Give Thanks For God's Many Gifts And Blessings


Psalm 21: 1-2, 7  , and 13 - O LORD, the king rejoices in your strength. How great is his joy in the victories you give!  You have granted him the desire of his heart and have not withheld the request of his lips. "Selah"

For the king trusts in the LORD; through the unfailing love of the Most High he will not be shaken.

Be exalted, O LORD, in your strength; we will sing and praise your might.

 

David took time to thank God for all he had done in his life. David recalled God’s anointing as king…the  crown of gold placed on his head…the honor and respect from the people he served…the long life he had been allowed to live…and the happiness he felt in this moment overflowed his heart as he thought about the eternal joy he would receive in Heaven.  He viewed all these things as great gifts of God…the fulfillment of many prayers…that had granted him the many desires of his heart.

 

David also remembered the many enemies that lived around him…and the pagans that followed the many gods that they had created to try and find happiness in life.  His heart hurt every time he thought about the way they made fun of Yahweh… spoke ill of him and laughed at and mocked the commands he set forth.  But David trusted God with these thoughts….believing that God had a plan….knowing that God would continue to uphold him… and someday judge them for the disbelief.

 

This day…instead of complaining to God about the craziness around him… he chose to sing praises to God. He realized that everything he had was a gift from God…family…wealth…talent…position…it had all been given to him by God to use to lead the people of God. Instead of harping on the negative he saw around him every day….he chose to write a new song of praise to God. He must have done this a lot…for David is credited with writing over half of the 150 chapters in this book. 

 

It is a reminder to me….that when life throws craziness at me…that I just need to stop and say a few words of thanks to God for all he has done….good or bad in my life. I have a great family and many friends….God has allowed me to pay my bills for 32 years with a humble teaching career…he allows me to sing in a humble church choir….sew…crochet…and do other crafty things with ease. I have truly been given much to thank God for daily.

 

Father…thank you for all you have given me…my family…the many friends that you have allowed me to know and love…the job that has paid my bills and allowed me to save a retirement base for the next season of life. I thank you for the meager talents you have given me to sing and make things with my hands. I thank you for the ability to listen to you and connect words from my heart in a reflection on your words from the Bible.  Help me to never forget that these are great gifts from you…to use to help others learn about your love. Show me how to use them daily to serve you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment