Saturday, December 28, 2013

Trust...Commit...Be Still...And Feel Delight


Psalm 37:3-7 -  Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.  Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:  He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.  Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.

 

As a young man…David spent quite a bit of time running from King Saul…who saw him as a threat to the throne. Scholars differ on the amount of time that David spent running and hiding from Saul. Some say as little as 18 months….others say it could have been up to 15 years. But whatever the timespan…God used it to allow David to reflect on his creator …and write some of the most amazing passages of the Bible.  

 

It never ceases to amaze me…that in the midst of such harsh ….emotionally trying …physically tiring meager and poor times of his life…that David wrote such wise words of faith and trust. He himself is suffering way beyond anything I have ever experienced…and he is telling all those that will listen to delight in the Lord….to rest in his timing…to stop being bitter and angry….and to not fret about any future thing.

 

Delight is defined as an experience of great pleasure...in the presence of some other person or thing. David knew that the true source of his happiness was the deep relationship he had built with God. It was this knowledge of his deep love that allowed him to experience delight in all that came his way. David knew that when we take the time to really get to know God…we begin to understand what is truly important in life…and the desires of our heart begin to take on a less selfish perspective.

 

God wants us to store the important things away in our hearts…so we can ponder them when we need a pick me up later.  God wants us to spend time with him so we can experience his presence in our lives each day…he wants us to read the wisdom he left for us in the Bible and use it to transform our lives into strong faith filled Christians that don’t fret or worry when things get rough.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I need to always spend time with you. Keep the desires of my heart those that will help me to know you more deeply.  Help me to soak up all that you are trying to tell me from your word so that I can be happy at all times…even when things seem unsure.  I thank you for all you have done for me so far in my lifetime…for all the blessings I would not have except for you.  Help me store away the things I will need to ponder in the days to come…so that I will continue to draw closer to you…and not drift away. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment