Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Plug Into The Source....24/7


Psalm 27:1 and 8 - A psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation -- so why should I be afraid? The LORD protects me from danger -- so why should I tremble?

My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming."

 

David knew how to deal with fear.  He faced it head on ….holding onto God’s hand.  He stayed as close to God as God would allow…and let the light of God’s salvation illuminate the darkness around him.  He listened when God called him to come and talk…and kept God’s arms of protection wrapped tightly around him.

 

Fear…left to grow and fester inside our hearts…eventually traps us inside a dark world of doubt.  It tricks us into thinking the power has gone out…and the lights don’t work anymore.  We become so powerless that we just sit there…and don’t even reach for the light switch anymore.

 

David was telling us the secret was to keep in close contact with God. He was telling us the secret to keeping fear from setting up camp in our heart is to constantly stay in contact with the only source of light that can provide us salvation. He was telling us to stay in God’s presence 24/7.

 

I am not sure I understand what it truly means to live in God’s sweet presence 24/7. I have already admitted that I let fear and sadness take hold for small amounts of time …..periodically.  I am like most….taking the light for granted most of the time….till God allows it to be turned off for a time. Then I sit for a while…wondering where the switch is….then I run full on till I am sitting in God’s lap.

 

I know that one of the secrets to seeing the light 24/7 is opening that Bible every day. The other is keeping an attitude of prayer. The constant communication with God keeps our heart and eyes and ears open to God’s voice….it gives us the strength to wait out the power outages around us…for God’s power will never run out.  Isaiah 40: 28-31 says… “ Have you never heard or understood? Don't you know that the LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth? He never grows faint or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding.  He gives power to those who are tired and worn out; he offers strength to the weak.  Even youths will become exhausted, and young men will give up.  But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.”

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I have a direct hotline to the best power source that exists.  Help me to never let darkness trick me into sitting still again…but to be still and let you speak to me in the darkness…and wait for you to turn the light on again. Help me to stop taking the light for granted…but find a way to be with you 24/7…so the beam of light will always be visible by my heart…. bright….ready to chase any darkness that threatens me away. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment