Friday, December 13, 2013

Let Your Private Deliverance Become Your Public Testimony


Psalm 22: 22-25 - I will declare your name to my brothers; in the congregation I will praise you.  You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!  For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.  From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly; before those who fear you will I fulfill my vows.

 

This psalm must have been written when David was at his lowest.  He felt abandoned…even forsaken by God…yet he speaks in faith that he had not been completely abandoned…he was just having to wait.  He knew deep in his heart that God was listening….so he turned his questions of why into shouts of praise for what God would do when the timing was right.

 

He shouted to his family…all in the congregation that assembled….to everyone that would listen….that God was holy…and deserved their honor…reverence…and respect.  David’s realization of God’s presence in his life becomes a public testimony of his faith in God….no matter how long he had to wait for answers to his why questions.

 

David’s inward reflection on the great things God had done for him relieved him of the great pain he had felt just moments before. David’s trust that God would answer his cries for deliverance released the feelings of abandonment he felt from having to wait.  David’s praise reminded him of the joy God had placed in his heart…and brought it back to the surface of his soul.  It gave him the strength he needed to place the negative underneath the positive in his life…and complete the vow he had taken when he was anointed king.

 

Fear….negativity….pain…they multiply fast.  They take root quickly in our heart and mask us from seeing the truth that God will take us through any storm he has allowed in our lives. Satan wants us to run away…to believe that God has left us…isn’t real…and let the negative feelings of depression rule everything we do. He wants the pain to control us….grip us…hold us back from the truth that salvation is just a shout of praise away.

 

I have to admit…I have been tricked before.  It is so easy to fall into satan’s trap of negativity. And once the pity party begins…it is hard to stop.  The negative in our lives…the physical pain we feel takes over…and hides the joy that God placed in our hearts when things were good. It make us feel abandoned….alone…worms in a world where success is usually measured by the good …the successes in our path.

 

The next time I feel a pity party coming my way…I need to remember to shout a praise to the God who saved me when I was just 14.  I need to call him holy…and tell him how thankful I am for the many good things he has given…and for the lessons he has taught me with the pain from the past.  I need to let my song of deliverance from the  many trials in my life be a testimony of praise to others around me…so God can turn my mourning into even more joy!

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that the cure for depression and sadness is to praise you for your great holiness and power. The next time satan tries to trick me into feeling sorry for myself…help me to remember all that you have done…and shout praises from wherever I am. Thank you for the truth  that you will never leave or forsake me…because your sweet son paid the full price for any sin I will ever commit. Reveal to me the places where you would have me give a public testimony of the joy you sustain in my heart…because you have carried me through some really hard times. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment