Saturday, December 14, 2013

Let God Be Your Shepherd


Psalm 23:1-6 - The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,  he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

 

The David that wrote these beautiful words was a man who had lived many days of life with his heavenly father. He had held the lowly position of shepherd boy…and served as a mighty king.  He had felt the goodness of the kings court…and suffered the pain and agony of running...hiding from his enemies. God had been teaching him how to have a heart just like him.

 

I had been anticipating all day that I would be reading the 23rd Psalm. It has always been one of my favorites…even one of the few entire chapters I had memorized as a child….so I couldn’t resist seeing if I still knew it by heart. My pen wrote word for word…leaving out only a few phrases…the green meadows…the anointing of oil….the paths of righteousness…the goodness and mercy that followed David forever.

 

David had built such a deep relationship with God that he was able to explain it in these 6 short verses. He trusted the great shepherd with his very life….and the contentment he felt from the leading of God in green meadows…still waters…or darkest valley…defined his humble attitude of praise for the things God had done for him.  He looked forward to the great feast that awaited him at God’s table in Heaven…where he would live forever.

 

I couldn’t help but think that the phrases that had slipped my memory had a message for me. Perhaps I lack experience in those areas…and that is where I need to spend more time with God. I need to strive to be more positive in this negative world we live….content with the season of life and circumstance that God has placed me. I need to search more diligently for my anointing…his call on my life to serve and be a shepherd to others. Perhaps I am sorely lacking in righteousness…and need to pray for forgiveness…and mercy to learn to follow him even deeper…and purge even more sin from my soul.

 

I know one thing for sure…this chapter of Psalms is still one of my favorite all time scriptures. Its words speak of the great peace that passes understanding that I can have if I cling to God…no matter what life circumstances I find myself.  It reminds me that God loves me more than I love myself…and he will always be there ready to help me…no matter what traps of satan I allow myself to fall into.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that you are my shepherd…and all I need in life is to follow you beside the waters of life…because whether your hand leads me to a green pasture…or a dark valley …you are beside me every step of the way…holding my hand. Help me to deepen my relationship with you…and hold your hand a little tighter….so you can show me the next part of the path of righteousness that will lead me to your purpose for me here on earth.   Give me a vision of the table you have prepared for me…when you call me home to live with you forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment