Friday, March 28, 2014

God Can Bring Good Out Of what We Think Is Bad


Psalm 126:3-6 -  The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.  Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like streams in the Negev.  Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.  He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.

 

This anonymous Psalm may have been written as the Israelites were released from captivity in Ezra 1.  It was a time of great joy and celebration….for the many tears and cries of help to God had finally been answered. The tears of pain and sorrow they had sown…and the many prayers they offered for help had been exchanged for pure joy.

 

God is in the business of repair.  He restores that which has been torn down…whether it was torn down by our own bad choices…or God’s great wisdom that allows us to be tested and tried. Jeremiah 29:11 tells us that God wants to prosper us…not harm us.  That tells me that everything he allows to happen to me will somehow bring the good future that he promised.

 

 God’s great Earth is full of examples of this truth.  A forest restores itself after a fire…some seeds actually need the fire to burn through the thick seed coat they have before they can even sprout.  A broken bone heals…but it takes a bit of time. And the flowers always bloom in the spring…even after a horrible winter. God constantly brings good out of what we perceive to be a bad thing.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you can turn my tears of sorrow and questions of why…into the joy that comes when we trust and let you have complete control of our lives. Forgive me for the times that I have jumped ahead of you and made a mess…and the times that I have doubted and questioned  that you could possibly be working a plan to help me.  Help me this morning to just trust…simply and completely in whatever you may be planning for my future.  Help me to trust in the promise of Jeremiah…and just know that I know …that I know…it will bring a celebration of laughter and joy.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment