Friday, March 21, 2014

Purity Starts With God's Word


Psalm 119:9-13 -  How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.  I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.  Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees.  With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.

 

Most Bible scholars believe this chapter of Psalms to be written by Ezra, the priest. It is not only the longest chapter of Psalms…but the longest chapter in the entire Bible. He used each letter of the Hebrew alphabet to reiterate countless times how important it is to study God’s word….and use it to transform our lives.

 

His words are just as important today.  The world is still consumed with evil…and darkness hides the pathway for each pilgrim that begins the journey God asks us to take when we accept him into our hearts. His word is the light that helps us see where he needs us to go.  The words we hide deeply in our heart…the ones we take the time to memorize…can be brought back to our mind by the spirit when we need them most.

 

I have to admit that I had a hard time focusing on such a long chapter last night.  It was a full day for me yesterday…. and sweet visits with two of my children kept me up way past my normal bedtime. My heart saw the length of my task…and I whispered softly….several times…a plea to only read a portion of the great Psalm.

 

But the more I read…the more strength I seemed to have to finish the task. A wash of sweet peace and strength…exactly like the writer mentioned in verse 165…. gave me the energy to keep going till I reached the end. It reminded me how very dependent I am on God’s great love to help me each and every day.  Then I realized that what little wisdom I possess has come from applying what I have read to my life each day.

 

Father…thank you so much for reminding me how important reading…studying…memorizing…and applying your word to my life truly is.  Forgive me for ever thinking that I could do anything without following your rules and commands for living. Help me to not just read your word…but truly study it…and seek your will in applying it to my life.  Thank you for powering this old body to stay awake last night….help me through the day today with your supernatural strength to do my best at work. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment