Saturday, March 1, 2014

Spring Clean Your Heart


Psalm 99:1-3 -  The LORD reigns, let the nations tremble; he sits enthroned between the cherubim, let the earth shake.  Great is the LORD in Zion; he is exalted over all the nations.  Let them praise your great and awesome name-- he is holy.

 

Another anonymous Psalm…the writer reflecting on the great holiness of God. His vision of God was sitting on the Ark of the Covenant…guarded by two cherubim...one on each side.  So holy and great was God that only a priest who had been anointed could enter the space where he lived. 

 

It reminds me that God is worthy of so much more than I usually give him. Even in the moments of deep worship…when I think I have given him my all…I know in my heart I could have given more.  I admit that my life is a series of wonderful moments with God….between the distractions that draw me away from his holiness. 

 

I need to stop more often…and think about the fact that God was so holy…that Moses had to remove his shoes before he could walk close to that burning bush that held God’s presence.  And since Jesus died on that cross to save my sins….and make my own body his temple…he lives inside of me. Makes me think that I need to do some spring cleaning in my life…to make my body a place God would be proud to live.

 

Here’s the great thing about God…once he lives inside me …he loves me just the way I am…and lets me work on the transformation in installments.  Bit by bit he helps me clean out the things that are not worthy of his holiness…and he comforts me and gives me confidence the whole time.

 

Father….I thank you for the love that is so great that it takes me where I am this morning…helps me gently reflect on who you truly are…and helps me realize once again that I have a lot of work to do before you will be truly proud of who I am.  As the calendar keeps moving ahead day by day…help me to utilize each moment you give me to commit to cleaning out more and more of the things that are not worthy of who you are.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment