Wednesday, March 19, 2014

God's Great Love Is For All People


Psalm 117:1-2 -  Praise the LORD, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples.  For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever. Praise the LORD.

 

It’s the shortest chapter in the whole Bible...and it is placed exactly halfway through God’s great inspired word. This anonymous writer manages to pack a powerful message into just two short verses….and it becomes the hinge that joins the beginning and what will be the end.

 

Paul quotes from it in Romans 15:9-12…. to support his teaching that the death and resurrection of Jesus provided a way for all men… Jews and Gentiles …to receive the salvation of God. The veil to the Holy of Holies was torn top to bottom the moment Jesus gave his life to pay the ransom for all sin. He made a way for all men to talk to the father…without the need to go through a priest…without the need to shed any more blood.

 

The psalmist says simply for us to Praise the Lord…all nations…everywhere on earth.  He tells us to do this because God loves us more than we could possibly love him back. He proved it by giving up his one and only son to be a sacrifice for all sin. Then he reminds us that this love will be forever if we choose to accept it into our heart and life.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that you love me with great love…so great that you allowed your only son to die for my sin.  Forgive me for the times that I take that for granted…and live life in a way that does not stop to thank you for this great act of love and mercy.  Help me to reflect more during my day on the love you gave me…and praise you for all you have done. Help me to remember the words of this Psalmist even when things seem hard and I struggle…that I always have at least two things to praise you for…your great love for all people…and the truth that you will reign forever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment