Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I Need Mercy


Psalm 123:1-4 -  I lift up my eyes to you, to you whose throne is in heaven.  As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid look to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God, till he shows us his mercy.  Have mercy on us, O LORD, have mercy on us, for we have endured much contempt.  We have endured much ridicule from the proud, much contempt from the arrogant.

 

That is the whole anonymous Psalm…some believe to be written by Hezekiah. His heart held a vision of a merciful God…sitting on a splendid throne in Heaven.  The relationship between them was master to servant….maid to mistress…our goal always being that of pleasing God with everything we do. Our eyes should be constantly fixed on him….trying to find ways to serve him.

 

He lived in a time much like we do…where being a Christian is not always the popular thing to do.  People judge and ridicule and scoff at what they perceive to be an invisible God…not realizing the inward peace one has when they have accepted God into their heart. They make fun of what they don’t understand….just like they laughed at Noah in Genesis 6.

 

He tells us to pray for mercy…for the times that we fall…and play right into the hands of those that ridicule us.  Our imperfect lives give the unrighteous fuel for their taunts… instead of model for them the way to find God and his mercy and forgiveness. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am not perfect….and the mistakes I make give those who do not believe fuel for staying a non-believer.  Show mercy on me… a perpetual sinner…in great need of your forgiveness and mercy for the many mistakes I have made in life. Shine your light of truth brightly into my heart today…and help me to stop and look up to ask you what to do…before I am about to model for others how a Christian should act.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment